diagnosing starting problem

Started by BFS57, April 06, 2015, 07:57:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BFS57

Hello;
Oh darn the luck! Im having this problem with my 32. It happens when the engine is hot or cold. The starter sometimes just doesn't engage at all but if I repeditly try the key, it kicks over and starts!?
I read someplace that repeated use of an underpower battery can reek havoc on the starter solenoid!? I had an under powered battery in the car for quite some time, now I corrected that by installing a red top battery! I think it's either the wire from the switch that needs replaced or, the starter solenoid. Sometime when I have this problem, I get out and give the solenoid  a slight TAP and it usually seems fine just after that.
Lookin for answers here, anyone have some words of wisdom?
Checked my alternator and it seems fine putting out just over 14 volts at idle. It's Anyone's guess.

Bruce

416Ford

If you are able to start it after tapping the solenoid I would say the odds are good that the solenoid is bad.
Sounds like a Chevy engine...If it is.... I would take the starter off and have it tested. If you can test the solenoid wires when it does not start. that would tell you also.
You never have time to do it right the first time but you always have time to do it again.

kb426

My history has been more solenoid problems than anything else. I have bought repair kits that allow you to replace the contacts and the plunger for way less money that a replacement unit.
TEAM SMART

GPster

I have also had battery terminal connections or frame grounds that were not tight act like that. Sometimes the loose connections have a little spark in them that creates some heat at that joint. The heat causes the metal at that union to expand and create tightness at the joint which allows current to flow.. GPster

BFS57

Hello;
Well, after batteling it this morning. I was seeing that the battery was down to a little over 12 volts! Just put that battery in. So, Got the battery charger and gave it a charge! It took a while but it went up! Now, it satrts really fine.
What I am thinking is that I have a drain in the system (I think it's the door poppers) so I eithor have to constantly charge the battery or figgure out a dis-connect of the electric doors or take a serious look at what may be the drain.
Next I have to figgure out how to test for a drain with my multimeter!

Bruce

rumrumm

Lynn
'32 3W

I write novels, too. https://lsjohanson.com