New guy question

Started by 40PlymouthCoupe, September 09, 2004, 10:46:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

40PlymouthCoupe

Folks,
I have a chance to purchase a 40 Plymouth Coupe in pretty nice condition.  I am looking for information on how to modify this car, and just how to construct a street rod in general.  I have some experience with muscle cars, but that seems to be a little different than a street rod.  My first step was obviously to start watching your forums here and reading your tech articles to pick up some hints.  Can you tell me any other places I should look for information?  Any magazines I should subscribe to?  Any books I should read?  Any other websites I should look at?  Possibly any organizations I should think about joining?

Any advice or guidance would be greatly appreciated.  Thank you in advance!

40PlymouthCoupe

enjenjo

Well, first of all, welcome aboard. Second, give us an idea of your goal, and we can throw some ideas at you. Do you want to stay with the stock suspension? What engine and trans do you have in mind? What rearend? Body modifications?
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

GPster

Welcome! You could probably keep that thing running forever with all of the engines that are in the "junk piles" of people that have changed them out. I think that some variety of that 6 was used in Chrysler Product cars up til '59. There are lot of those engines that are in fork-truck and other industrial application that have spent their life on propane and have never seen a gallon of gas. You could just get it running and play for awhile. There are a lot of cheap up-dates that would help make it serviceable for a while. If it hasn't run for awhile, resist the temptation of changing the oil and putting in the best detergent oil you can find. If it hasn't been run with detergent oil and you try to use it there will be sooo much sludge that it will stick the oil-rings to the pistons and be a smoker. Add some lead additive to your gas to keep the valves and seats somewhat protected in the style they were designed. A lot of these things suffered from fuel delivery problems that a lot of times can be only an old fuel pump. But it can also be a warn cam lobe on the fuel-pump drive and it can also be the antique system with new technology fuel. An electric fuel pump is a good solution but it is best to set it up as a pusher and remember to use a low-pressure pump because of the needle and seats in your carb. There are any number here that have built these old MoPars in any number of ways. So if you ask what you want to know someone can help you. If you don't ask you'll get a lot of help too. Maybe you could turbo-charge it. GPster

47wood

40 ply ...Welcome to the RRT.  Your info does not list where you're located but if there is a "street rod association" there consider joining it.  Their interest will be pre-49 rods and they'll give you a lot of helpful info (& encouragement) including who to go to for work locally and who to stay away from.  Sounds like a great opportunity.  Good Luck.   :wink:
Great Grandma Lee always said;  FAIR  ...is something you pay when you get on the bus!

alchevy

Welcome to the RRT! A book that was helpful called "Street Rodder - Chassis Suspension Handbook" is what I would add to this good advice you are getting from the RRT. There are others out there on the market also. They have just started reprinting the "Street Rodder's Handbook". Look in the large book stores to find them (Books-a-Million, Barnes & Noble, Borders, etc.). I learn a lot from great magazines like Street Rod Builder. The advice to join a local club was the best advice. Some clubs are lucky enough to have one (go to) person that knows a lot about building street rods and others will have many folks that know their part about the building process. Several members of my car club helped me out with my car.
A street rod is a vehicle made before 1949 that is modified with modern stuff: bigger motors; newer trans; updated suspension, front & rear; a/c.
Following is a street rod plus definition: No known definition because it changes.

www.astreetrodder.com

MYRIDE

Quote from: "40PlymouthCoupe"Folks,
I have a chance to purchase a 40 Plymouth Coupe in pretty nice condition.  I am looking for information on how to modify this car, and just how to construct a street rod in general.  I have some experience with muscle cars, but that seems to be a little different than a street rod.  My first step was obviously to start watching your forums here and reading your tech articles to pick up some hints.  Can you tell me any other places I should look for information?  Any magazines I should subscribe to?  Any books I should read?  Any other websites I should look at?  Possibly any organizations I should think about joining?

Any advice or guidance would be greatly appreciated.  Thank you in advance!

40PlymouthCoupe

Welcome aboard! Great place to gleen valuable info is right here (RRT). I just finnished up rodding a '38 Dodge this year. Follow the link if you like for some pics and if you have any questions feel free to ask.
Ken

http://hotrodders.com/forums/journal.php?s=9e4a839b9c69dd99cda7a9a04d8b434f&journalid=3413&action=view
"T*ts or Tires....both will cause you problems"   -Mainstreet Cruisers-
                     http://members.shaw.ca/mainstreetcruisers/

GPster

The advice to join a local club was the best advice. Some clubs are lucky enough to have one (go to) person that knows a lot about building street rods and others will have many folks that know their part about the building process.[/quote]                                                                   We have oneof those guys here. But if you go to him and ask for help and he says something about the grass needing mowed and starts taking off his shirt, do us a favor and mow it for him. GPster

Ralph

40 Plymouth? Who'd buy an old piece o' crap like that? Um, well I did! :D Mine's got a Camaro front clip. Don't do that, they're too wide. Saw one recently with stock front suspension, a power rack n' pinion swap and disc brakes. That seemed to work. the Mustang II with frame stubs seems like a good answer too. There's another one around here that's dead stock except for nice wheels. Drives it daily. Hang around, there's lots of good help here!
Ralph
PS This one's mine!
Manitoba Street Rod Association
http://www.msra.mb.ca/

40PlymouthCoupe

I just wanted to post a reply to thank you all for the great advice and insight.  It is truly appreciated.  I am looking for some of the books that you suggested, and I am starting to ask around about some clubs in my area.  Most of the guys around here have muscle cars, but I do see some street rods from time to time.  I'm gonna keep eavesdropping on your posts to pick as many pointers as I can.  My goal with this car is to enjoy it the way it is right now (stock with a nice paint job and chrome wheels), and gather some parts to put a modern suspension and drive train in it.  I would really like to have something that I could take on some trips.  So I'm sure I'll be back with more questions.  Again...Thank You!