Maxi Fuse Holder

Started by WZ JUNK, February 26, 2015, 09:11:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WZ JUNK

I want to use Maxi fuses instead of fusible links on a current wiring project.  The fuse blocks have been hard to find.    
I found this one   http://www.jlaudio.com/xd-fdbu-4-car-audio-distribution-blocks-90462    I am looking for a better price but I am tickled that I finally found one.  One of the new features in fuses is that they are available with an led light that indicate whether the fuse is burnt.  I like that idea and the Maxi fuses would be better than changing a fusible link at night on the side of a highway.

Do any of you have thoughts about using the Maxi fuses?   How about another source for the fuse panel ?

John
WZ JUNK
Chopped 48 Chevy Truck
Former Crew chief #974 1953 Studebaker   
Past Bonneville record holder B/BGCC 249.9 MPH

Ohio Blue Tip

I used a maxi fuse on my 34 Ford and it saved me.  I accidentally hooked the charger up backwards and left it on for a couple of days.  Killed the battery but the fuse saved the wiring system and electronics.  I plan on always using one, didn't know they were hard to get?
Some people try to turn back their odometers
Not me, I want people to know "why" I look this way.
I\'ve traveled a long way and some of the
roads weren\'t paved.

Ken

Ohio Blue Tip

Try Watson's Streetworks, good folks.
Ken
Some people try to turn back their odometers
Not me, I want people to know "why" I look this way.
I\'ve traveled a long way and some of the
roads weren\'t paved.

Ken

Canuck

Digi-key offers a wide assortment, all seem to be made by LittleFuse:

http://www.digikey.ca/product-search/en/circuit-protection/fuseholders/655422?k=maxi%20fuse%20holder

This statement is a real change, "don't know if they sell to the states".  Normally the other way around.

Or maybe a Electronics supplier, if you have one locally?

Have one that I will be installing in my coupe, got it out of a car at a Pick-a-Part.  Probably Japanese, unfortunately don't remember what make.  Maybe someone else knows.  Is a holder with two pigtails with flat connectors on each end.

Canuck
My 30 Coupe build, with a Nailhead and fenders
  UPDATED JUNE 26, 2017
http://chevelle406.wordpress.com/

enjenjo

Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

papastoyss

I've bought from dell city before when I had my repair shop. They have good products at reasonable prices.
grandchildren are your reward for not killing your teenagers!

Charlie Chops 1940

I've heard the hue and cry for using maxi fuses but I'm not sure I fullyunderstand why they are needed. I did a scratch harness for my '40 convert 30 years ago, paid attention to the wire gauges, terminal strips and  plug in fuse holders from Ron Francis wiring. I don't know if maxi fuses were even around then. The system has performed flawlessly with one fuse blown for the license plate light when the wire grommet went astray and the wire frayed where it went through the inner trunk lid skin.

Am I living dangerously now...is this akin to not changing your brake fluid every other year? And what circuit do you use the maxi fuse in anyway?

Charlie
A good friend will come and bail you out of jail...but, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying. "Wow...that was fun!"

Poster geezer for retirement....

A Hooligan!

enjenjo

The maxi fuse is used as a master fuse, controlling all the circuits except the main starter circuit. Some cars use more than one. It does the same job as a fuseable link, but blows quicker. In your case there is probably no advantage to change, but in a car with one or more computers, it can save the computer in case of a short.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

Bruce Dorsi

I don't know how to post a link from this tablet, but here's some Maxi-Fuse blocks:

Go to www.mouser.com  and search for:

Item # 576-03540505Z which is a 4-fuse block at $7.57.

Item # 576-03540549Z which is a 2-fuse block at $13.57.

These are made by Littlefuse.

Mouser has them in stock, but can probably found elsewhere as well.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

If being smart means knowing what I am dumb at,  I must be a genius!

Crosley.In.AZ

Local O'Reileys store carried a nice piece.  Many listed on eBay with Littlefuse name on them
Tony

Plutophobia (Fear of money)

WZ JUNK

Quote from: "Bruce Dorsi"I don't know how to post a link from this tablet, but here's some Maxi-Fuse blocks:

Go to www.mouser.com  and search for:

Item # 576-03540505Z which is a 4-fuse block at $7.57.

Item # 576-03540549Z which is a 2-fuse block at $13.57.

These are made by Littlefuse.

Mouser has them in stock, but can probably found elsewhere as well.

These are interesting.  I did some quick reading and the one for four fuses should work.  Strange that the 2 place is more than the 4 place.  Now I need to determine the value of the fuses for the circuits.

John
WZ JUNK
Chopped 48 Chevy Truck
Former Crew chief #974 1953 Studebaker   
Past Bonneville record holder B/BGCC 249.9 MPH

BFS57

Hello;
If you want a 6 circuit fuse block go to the auto parts store and buy one! I also have a way to insert maxi fuses in line by cutting the wire, inserting two female spade (insulated) connectors (one on each end) and just insert a fuse between those.

Bruce

Crosley.In.AZ

As for fuse blocks:  I bought this Blue Sea #5029  off eBay for a race  car project.  Simple, easy.  $36.20  delivered to my door.

One main power feed in,  at the bottom

I already had the wire, so needed a fuse block
Tony

Plutophobia (Fear of money)

jaybee

How difficult is it to reuse a salvaged fuse block? Every car built in the last 25 years or so has a Maxi Fuse or two under the hood. I can't imagine the yard would want much because when do they ever go bad?

The sticking point is that the "easiest" way to do so isn't the most electrically sound or best looking...cut and spliced wires. The trick, then, is the availability of terminals to accept the fuse on one side and the wires on the other, the expense of said contacts, and the difficulty of getting them in and out of the fuse block.

If that's a bad idea it shows the limitations of my knowledge. Most of the wiring I've done has been in the house and garage.
Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength. Eric Hoffer  (1902 - 1983)