Fender ID

Started by Canuck, September 09, 2004, 09:31:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Canuck

Managed to pick up a couple of rear fenders for my 30 coupe.  Just not sure what year they are.  Anyone able to help me ID  them?

Appreciate the help.
My 30 Coupe build, with a Nailhead and fenders
  UPDATED JUNE 26, 2017
http://chevelle406.wordpress.com/

jakesbackyard

By the cut-out for the splash apron, they appear to be 28-29 Ford fenders. The indent for the aprons for 30-31 goes deeper into the fender and has a tighter radius in the corner. There is a difference in the width also, but right now it escapes me.....another senior moment.....

hope that helps.
Jake

Canuck

Thanks for the help ID'ing the fenders, this may work out OK.  I have always preferred the 30/31 body style but like the lines of the front fenders on the 28/29.

What problems will I get into using the 28/29 front and rear fenders, running boards and splash aprons with the 30/31 body, hood and rad shell and "headlight bar"?

Thanks for the help.

Jim
My 30 Coupe build, with a Nailhead and fenders
  UPDATED JUNE 26, 2017
http://chevelle406.wordpress.com/

Dave

Quote from: "Canuck"Thanks for the help ID'ing the fenders, this may work out OK.  I have always preferred the 30/31 body style but like the lines of the front fenders on the 28/29.

What problems will I get into using the 28/29 front and rear fenders, running boards and splash aprons with the 30/31 body, hood and rad shell and "headlight bar"?

Thanks for the help.

Jim

Ive seen it done and i think its pretty much a bolt on but i could be wrong. I like the 28/29 fenders better also.
Dave

jakesbackyard

I think the fenders and running boards will work fine. I used 29 fronts on my 31 sedan many years ago and made my own splash aprons. That was a lot of work and I think I'd use the whole 29 set up if I did it again.

I don't think you will be able to use a 28/29 hood/grille shell on the 30. They are completely different. I would suggest a 30/31 hood with a 32 grille shell. That works well.

A 28/29 grille shell is a few inches shorter than a 30/31.

Good luck on the project.
Jake

flt-blk

As long as you have the same year pieces for front fender, running board
and apron, and rear fender all should line up just fine.

since the apron sits on top of the  frame and under the body it's just a
matter of preference.

I personally prefer the 30-31 style, but that's just me.  Of course I channeled my A pickup 6" so the aprons are ustless for me.
TZ
Philosophy of hot rods
The welder is the Yin and the Grinder is the Yang