PIA! Broken Drill Bit extraction

Started by BFS57, February 23, 2015, 07:54:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BFS57

Hello;
Well, in my quest to help my 57 chevy, I was working on my rear glass frame noticing that a stud that accepts a clip to put the mechanism on was loose. I tried to use a punch to tighten it but didn't do the job, so, I get this brain storm to drill through it and install a small screw or bolt and use that to tighten it up. Well, I drilled about half way through and had another brain storm to tap it (4-40) and use a fastner from the back side. Don't you know that I only had about two threads in when the tap broke, just before I backed it out!?!! :evil:
Then, I got another brain storm to drill from the front side. I got it drilling really nice and , I guess when it went through, hit the broke off tap and broke the bit :shock:
Now, I don't have too much of a plan for saving my part other than using welding of some sort.
I know that there are some metal working genious' out there, any body got an Idea?

Thanks,
Bruce

kb426

TEAM SMART

enjenjo

Quote from: "kb426"Might help if we had a pic.

My thought too. It helps to know what we are working with.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

Arnold

Maybe EDM..(there are some mobile units too)

enjenjo

At this point, with a broken tap, and drill bit in the stud, just how loose is it?
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

Pete

I know exactly what you have there.
Part of my job for many years was to go out with a portable EDM and
fix problems like yours.
The big problem with that, it is quite expensive.
You will have to weigh the cost against going after it with a welder.

416Ford

I can send my wife to help you out Bruce. See thinks standing over me and asking questions always helps me. :lol:  :lol:
You never have time to do it right the first time but you always have time to do it again.

Pete

Quote from: "416Ford"I can send my wife to help you out Bruce. See thinks standing over me and asking questions always helps me. :lol:  :lol:

I can furnish that service also at an extremely low cost.

idrivejunk

Quote from: "enjenjo"At this point, with a broken tap, and drill bit in the stud, just how loose is it?

THIS^^^^

Had this situation on a pistol once, broke a punch trying to get the rolled pin out. Pulled the pin rest of the way then broke another punch going the other way. Finally decided- "Well, it still shoots I just can't clean it real good!"

If you broke it twice... maybe its fixed? Seriously, good luck and be careful.
Matt

UGLY OLDS

Quote from: "416Ford"I can send my wife to help you out Bruce. See thinks standing over me and asking questions always helps me. :lol:  :lol:

Careful there ....Remember when the fuel problem was resolved ???  
 Wasn't she helping at the time ????  :lol:

Bob ... :wink:
1940 Oldsmobile- The "Ugly Olds"
1931 Ford sedan- Retirement project

***** First Member of Team Smart*****

BFS57

Hello;
I tried to find another "stud" to remove the bad one but havn't lucked up on it yet! I'm thinking that welding may be my only fix, at this point.
I do however have a place to go and look for a replacement. Thats Skycraft in Winter Park, Fl. It's the kind of place you have to pack a lunch, go early, take lots of cash. All sorts of "wonderful things there!!!

Bruce