Firewall insulation

Started by EMSjunkie, September 07, 2004, 11:00:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

EMSjunkie

I finally have the stainless steel mounted on the exterior firewall, looks pretty good, if I do say so myself, now I need to get the interior firewall insulated so I can put everything put back under the dash. anyone have experience insulating a 'glass coupe?  StreetRodder did an article a couple months back on a three-layer approach, but it sounds really pricey. surley there are alternatives, something that can be purchased locally, however, the street rod supply places here in Amarillo are non-exsistant. gonna go poke around the local building supply stores. surley I should be able to find something at Builders Square or Lowes. just not real sure about gluing it to fiberglass. I did find out that Q-pads don't stick worth 'nuthin!!!! one of those expensive painful lessons.

Vance

"We are born naked, wet, and hungry, then things get worse"
"I don\'t know what your problem is, but I bet its hard to pronounce"

1934 Ford 3 Window
Member, Rural Rodders
Member, National Sarcasm Society  "Like we need your support"
*****Co-Founder  Team Smart*****

Crosley.In.AZ

I've seen aluminum foil glued down with the good quality uphostery spray glue for a heat barrier

then use some of the insualtion that comes in rolls at Home Depot / Lowes type places.  Glue the snot outta it

Some of the bubble aluminum type stuff or the dense compacted fiber insulation that is also used under carpeting in the cars.
Tony

Plutophobia (Fear of money)

wvcab

perhaps dynomat?   can be mail ordered or bought off ebay... stereo shops also sell it.

MikeC

You might try going to the local salvage yard.  Find yourself an old mini-van.  Pull up the carpet and voila!  All the insulation you will ever need for your rod.  Again, glue it with good adhesive, 3M works pretty well.  I also heard of a guy using some new style roofing washers for holding down the paper.  Just epoxy them on with the washer flat against the firewall and slip the insulation over the nail.  Clip off the excess and the carpeting will cover the small exposed end.

CalifCarl

I used the Dynamat extreme. It's got a thick foil on one side and a tar type material in the middle which sticks really well to your surface.  This was more for sound deadening, but is labeled for heat reistance to.  Far as I'm concerned it doesn't work all that well against heat. But with the build up of a jute material and your carpet that should be fine.  

Dynamat does have many different type of materials all for different purposes.   Look it up on the internet under Dynamat.   You can buy direct from them over the internet and save a bunch.  I bought the value pack, which was 9  18x30 sheets.  I did the firewall and the floor of my Model A  and I still have a few sheets left.  It's a great sound deadener, wihich is it's main purpose.

Should work better on fiberglass for heat and sound than steel. I'm guessing with the positive connection-seal that it has it will help aid against moisture also. Not that big of a deal on fiberglass.  Pretty cool stuff to work with.

EMSjunkie

Thanks for the tip. I got some stuff off Ebay that is supposed to be just like Dynamat. I'll see when the brown truck arrives. it was cheap, so if it doesn't work, I'm not out a whole lot. think I'll head down to the local bone yard and check out the mini-vans.

Vance
" I had a handle on reality, but it broke"
"I don\'t know what your problem is, but I bet its hard to pronounce"

1934 Ford 3 Window
Member, Rural Rodders
Member, National Sarcasm Society  "Like we need your support"
*****Co-Founder  Team Smart*****

tomslik

Quote from: "Crosley"I've seen aluminum foil glued down with the good quality uphostery spray glue for a heat barrier

then use some of the insualtion that comes in rolls at Home Depot / Lowes type places.  Glue the snot outta it

Some of the bubble aluminum type stuff or the dense compacted fiber insulation that is also used under carpeting in the cars.

don't use the bubble stuff on the floor.
after a while all the bubbles pop...
The last thing I want to do is hurt you. But it\'s still on my list

Topsterguy

Punch B-Quiet in on a search engine. The company is in Saskatchewan Canada and I just bought 50 sq feet of their Ultimate for the coupe. It's like dynamat but a lot less pricey!
"If a man is alone in the forest and speaks, and there\'s no woman around, is he still wrong?"

32coupe

I did something really simple on my glass coupe, I cut a piece of 3/4" marine ply out to the shape of the inner side of the firewall and glassed it in place. It now serves 2 purposes, it acts as a heat sheild, and I can mount all my gadgets to it without the risk of breaking through to the engine compartment.I still carpeted it to make it look good too.
If you can\'t fix it with a hammer, you\'ve got an electrical problem

lobucrod

Quote from: "EMSjunkie"I finally have the stainless steel mounted on the exterior firewall, looks pretty good, if I do say so myself, now I need to get the interior firewall insulated so I can put everything put back under the dash. anyone have experience insulating a 'glass coupe?  StreetRodder did an article a couple months back on a three-layer approach, but it sounds really pricey. surley there are alternatives, something that can be purchased locally, however, the street rod supply places here in Amarillo are non-exsistant. gonna go poke around the local building supply stores. surley I should be able to find something at Builders Square or Lowes. just not real sure about gluing it to fiberglass. I did find out that Q-pads don't stick worth 'nuthin!!!! one of those expensive painful lessons.

Vance

"We are born naked, wet, and hungry, then things get worse"

Vance, Sounds like its a little too late to help you out now but I sell just the product you need. I have it on ebay and on my website. www.lobucrod.com. User name on ebay is Lobucrod also. sorry I didn't read your post sooner. Maybe others here can benefit from this. I'm located in Lubbock

kb426

I used Coolcar. I'm impressed so far. Lizard skin advertises that it's better. If it is, I think you'd be really satisfied.
TEAM SMART

Ohio Blue Tip

I plan on using Lizard Skin and the foil covered insulation from lobucrod over that on the fire wall and front portion of my 34.  The rest of the car is already insulated in a foil product.  What say you about that combination?
Some people try to turn back their odometers
Not me, I want people to know "why" I look this way.
I\'ve traveled a long way and some of the
roads weren\'t paved.

Ken

kb426

I think using the ceramic liquid as a base and using anything else over it should be wonderful. I drove my truck around with bare metal floor and firewall for about 3 years. The difference that 3 layers of coolcar and light carpet made is almost unbelievable. I wish I had decided to put on the coolcar when I started so I could have sprayed it everywhere. I have used the double foil with bubblewrap before and really like it but it does add thickness and as someone else stated, you can't use it on the floor. I looked at dynamat also. They recommend you use 2 types of their product to do a good job. Pricey and labor intensive for installation.
TEAM SMART

lobucrod

Quote from: "kb426"I think using the ceramic liquid as a base and using anything else over it should be wonderful. I drove my truck around with bare metal floor and firewall for about 3 years. The difference that 3 layers of coolcar and light carpet made is almost unbelievable. I wish I had decided to put on the coolcar when I started so I could have sprayed it everywhere. I have used the double foil with bubblewrap before and really like it but it does add thickness and as someone else stated, you can't use it on the floor. I looked at dynamat also. They recommend you use 2 types of their product to do a good job. Pricey and labor intensive for installation.

KB, the foil backed insulation I sell is much better than bubble wrap. As a matter of fact the manufacturer recomends using it as carpet padding. It is made up of closed cell polyurethane microfoam. It is much denser than bubble wrap. (If this sounds like a plug its cause it is)

kb426

TEAM SMART