Add power-steering to 1952 Buick with OEM suspension

Started by Crosley.In.AZ, December 26, 2014, 07:10:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Crosley.In.AZ

A fellow I know with 2 door 1952 Buick super.  He wants to rebuild OEM suspension.  

Then Add power steering.  PS on these cars was rare, seems only the Roadmaster would get PS.  OEM power box is hard to locate.

The manual box has the look of a tri-5 car box.  Long steering arm where the pitman arm bolts on
Tony

Plutophobia (Fear of money)

32 Chevy

You might check with Borgeson. They have a lot of power steering boxes that can be modified to fit different chassis.

papastoyss

A lot of the tri five crowd use an aftermarket ps box from Classic Performance Products known as the CPP 500 box. Other than steering column mods it's a bolt-on on a tri 5. Sells in the 450-500$ range.
grandchildren are your reward for not killing your teenagers!

tomslik

not much help but I hung a pacer FE on a 50 buick once,....
only customer I ever "fired".... :shock:
The last thing I want to do is hurt you. But it\'s still on my list

enjenjo

The CCP box is patterned on a late 90s Jeep grand Cherokee box. The bolt pattern is different. It should be adaptable.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

jaybee

'99-'04 Grand Cherokee is another potential option.
Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength. Eric Hoffer  (1902 - 1983)

Mac

Who\'s yer Data?

Crosley.In.AZ

the tri 5 box design is looking closest so far...  pitman arm length is shorter than OEM pitman arm.  Tri 5 arm is slightly curved, OEM Buick arm is straight...  Will look around for straight arm. Must be a bunch of arms that will bolt onto the box shaft and fit the tie rods.

Steering column will be changed

This 52 Buick is gonna be a Cruiser. basic stock type suspension, near stock height (lower) , Big chevy 454  power, automatic, 9 inch Ford diff.  Will be done up nice, not fancy hi-tech.

Interesting deal here is virtually few parts were cross platformed back in the 1950's... Olds, Caddy , Buick all had their own designs & parts fitment. Some had torque tubes, others open drive shafts as an example....  although I figure many older folks here know that.
Tony

Mac

Cros, I just had another look at my Crankshaft Coalition link and noticed the name "Crosley" listed in the by-line.

Zat you??
Who\'s yer Data?

Crosley.In.AZ

Quote from: "Mac"Cros, I just had another look at my Crankshaft Coalition link and noticed the name "Crosley" listed in the by-line.

Zat you??

Yes...  I was a moderator on that Crankshaft  wiki.  Likely I modified some items on that section is why my user name is listed
Tony

junkyardjeff

I seen one in a junkyard that had p/s and wish I would have grabbed it,the same yard had a few others with rare p/s systems too but they are long gone.

Crosley.In.AZ

The 55 - 57 chevy steering box was used.  THe  Buick pitman arm bolted onto the new chevy box.

Was even able to use 2 of the OE bolt holes on the new box.
Tony