Reality TV Fail

Started by jaybee, November 30, 2014, 04:02:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jaybee

I understand that reality TV thrives on a little manufactured drama. I'll put up with some of it, particularly if it's an automotive theme. My first look at "Misfit Garage" stretched my limits well past the breaking point, though.

Maybe you've seen it. They were working on a Mustang project and made a lot of fuss about how the paint they used was impossible to match and they spent extra for it because it looked so good. It was the junior guy's job to paint the driveshaft with a rattle can. He did it standing between a shop fan and the car, getting overspray on the car, or probably more accurately "spray drift" since it would have been nearly dry by the time it hit the fender.

As they're showing a close up of the overspray I recognized the slight mottling of freshly sprayed point and thought "hmmm, hasn't been buffed out yet." They called a detailing guy who can "work miracles". He got nearly all of it off, with me thinking "it hasn't been buffed out yet" the whole time. Then he announces the clay bar couldn't get it all and he's going to "have to" spend a couple of hours with the buffer...on a car that HADN'T BEEN BUFFED YET. For the remainder of the show the car showed gorgeous, glass-smooth, mile-deep paint.

Like I said, I realize manufactured drama plays a part in these shows, but I just rolled my eyes and was happy to change the channel.
Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength. Eric Hoffer  (1902 - 1983)

phat46

Yeah, lotsa made up stuff in those shows, some is really blatant and makes me wonder if they think no car people watch their shows. One that really irritated me was the show that just spent a lot of time and money to restore a '67 Mustang and it got in a fender bender on the test drive. They cried about how the car was totaled and they would have to junk it. Really? They jumped in it and drove back to the shop. They just rebuilt it from a rusty hulk and now it's totaled because it needs a fender and a bumper???

wayne petty

this is what i think of reality tv car shows..  http://i.imgur.com/L87G02x.gif

i used to enjoy them.. but they take rusty crap... some shows do a decent job of assembling it.. some shows had untrained unskilled low buck workers hired as they walked down the side walk..

teflon tape on the inverted flair fuel fittings  

grade 2 hardware and loose fitting flat washers holding everything together.

one show they ordered several fuel tanks as they could not understand how they came without a fuel filler tube.. and could not comprehend how to remove the old one to install in the new tank..

worse is what happens when they run them across the auction display.. that's where it really gets sick.. but i guess that is how people make money.. pay the bills..  excuse me while i go vomit..

kb426

I think I'll start my own show. How does "Blind old guy with no memory builds hot rods" sound? :)
TEAM SMART

58 Yeoman

I quit watching reality tv when they put wrestling on tv...
I survived the Hyfrecator 2000.

"Life is what happens when you're making other plans."
1967 Corvair 500 2dr Hardtop
1967 Corvair 500 4dr Hardtop
Phil

2many projects

Dallas Car Sharks still rubs me a little the wrong way.
Come on Martha, really. Sticking flower decals on a new body Beetle. That's soooo 70's
Pouring all that $$$$ money into some of the most tired out trucks I've ever see.
I'd scrap most of that crap Ash buys.
He and Martha are king & queen of the bottom feeders.
The whole show is TRASH!

Most of the other car shows on Discovery, History and Velocity provide decent entertainment.

Better shows today than what we had 20 years ago.

UGLY OLDS

Quote from: kb426I think I'll start my own show. How does "Blind old guy with no memory builds hot rods" sound? :)[/quote

I'm with you , KB ...

I can be the guy shuffling around dragging the broom .....  WAIT ..  :idea:

If we attach the broom to my cane , I can get TWICE the work done as it leaves the other hand free to work the dust pan ...   :shock:

Maybe if we attach a shop vac to the drive around scooter , I could get THREE times the amount of work done ....   :?:

Wait ...That can be episode #4 .... :idea:

I agree guys ...This is why I watch almost no TV .... :lol:

Bob... :wink:
1940 Oldsmobile- The "Ugly Olds"
1931 Ford sedan- Retirement project

***** First Member of Team Smart*****

Harry

As with most TV, 5 minutes of show, 6 minutes of ads.
Not fun anymore.

rumrumm

Chip Foose's show appears to be a cut above the rest. But I would be curious to see what some of those paint jobs look like two or three years down the road.
Lynn
'32 3W

I write novels, too. https://lsjohanson.com

enjenjo

I went to an indoor show that had a bunch of bikes from OCC. I was disappointed in the quality of work, very few of the parts were symmetrical, fenders, seats, and so forth. I expected better quality on their show bikes.

I also remember Boyd Coddington having a car that was missing the rotor in the distributor. :roll:  Really?
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

purplepickup

Quote from: "UGLY OLDS"
 I agree guys ...This is why I watch almost no TV .... :lol:

Bob... :wink:
Yup...what Bob said!
George

kb426

TEAM SMART

sirstude

Quote from: "rumrumm"Chip Foose's show appears to be a cut above the rest. But I would be curious to see what some of those paint jobs look like two or three years down the road.

My buddy Gary Dagel hosted an Overhauling episode at his shop a few years ago.  It was the early Nova they called "Its Cherry" Gary had that car at his shop for almost a year, redoing most of what was done.  I know the paint was redone by a nearby body shop.  I think that is why they seem to be taking several weeks to get them done now.  Still, you can't smear that amount of mud and expect the paint to look good for long with no time for anything to cure.

Doug
1965 Impala SS  502
1941 Olds

Watcher of #974 1953 Studebaker Bonneville pas record holder B/BGCC 249.945 MPH.  He sure is FAST

www.theicebreaker.us

2many projects

I do admire the work Chip and his crew do to vintage vehicles but PLEASE, enough with the * 2 tones.
Stick with the one color theme please!

grazza

Yup...what kb said! As for that American Hot Rod Show, well my Mum said never speak ill of the departed.................
Graeme
My Mind Is A Dangerous Place
I Should not be allowed to wander through there alone