wheel tubs for my Coupe

Started by moose, August 20, 2014, 11:19:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

moose

Continuing on my Coupe repairs. I started on the replacement wheel well tubs...

moose

Once the edge was rounded over I trimmed the edge to a uniform length. I measured and marked out the position of the beads I wanted to add for looks. I used my E-Wheel to pre-stretch the bead areas to minimize warpage. Then rolled and tacked on the filler piece. After final welding I will trim and weld to the quarters...

chimp koose

rumrumm

Lynn
'32 3W

I write novels, too. https://lsjohanson.com

unklian

phat46

enjenjo

What radius did you use on the edge?
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

moose

Quote from: "enjenjo"What radius did you use on the edge?

It was around 3/4 ". I could measure the cutter to be sure. I just grabbed the one that looked right :roll:

zzebby

The rolled over edge looks about an inch and the welded on strip about 3 inches.  Did you overlap them or butt them?  Looks like mig tacks, is it ?  Will you finish weld with mig or ?

moose

Quote from: "zzebby"The rolled over edge looks about an inch and the welded on strip about 3 inches.  Did you overlap them or butt them?  Looks like mig tacks, is it ?  Will you finish weld with mig or ?

They are butt welded TIG. It will be finish welded with TIG and metal finished. The rolled edge is closer to 3/4 in. by the time it is trimmed straight. The extension band is 3in.

moose

I now have the wheel well tubs in the body...

kb426

Very good! Do you keep track of your time just because?
TEAM SMART

moose

Quote from: "kb426"Very good! Do you keep track of your time just because?

No. Because I am currently using shop space at a friends we get distracted on other projects, bench building other cars, current affairs, etc the flow sometimes is very choppy. It slows down the speed BUT makes it very enjoyable!

purplepickup

Quote from: "moose"I am currently using shop space at a friends we get distracted on other projects, bench building other cars, current affairs, etc....
Friends and retirement do have their advantages, eh?

As usual, Tim, your work on the tubs shows much skill and patience. Thanks for the step by step pics.

Is the new shop ready for winter projects yet?
George

moose

Quote from: "purplepickup"
Quote from: "moose"I am currently using shop space at a friends we get distracted on other projects, bench building other cars, current affairs, etc....
Friends and retirement do have their advantages, eh?

As usual, Tim, your work on the tubs shows much skill and patience. Thanks for the step by step pics.

Is the new shop ready for winter projects yet?

Thanks George. The shop will be buttoned up on teh exterior today. I only need to side about 3/4 of one gable end and it will be done. Then i need to wire it and add the insulation and drywall. Probably won't get occupied till spring. I do plan to continue work over the winter but it will be slow...