fuel pump recommendations please

Started by moose, August 12, 2014, 04:18:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

moose

1934 Ford Cabriolet
trunk mounted fuel tank
existing fuel pump is frame mounted unknown brand diaphragm  style drawing from a top of tank mounted tube.

Pump will not draw when the tank is down to 1/4 or so.

Looking for recommendations on a replacement pump...

Thanks

Tim

phat rat

Have you checked that the pick-up is deep enough?
Some days it\'s not worth chewing through the restraints.

enjenjo

What Jack said, also the gauge could be off too. Is the tank vented? How much fuel do you need? Carbureted or EFI?

I am not a big fan of a lot of the performance aftermarket pumps, they don't have a lot of longevity. I have been using Airtex pumps with no problems.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

moose

Quote from: "enjenjo"What Jack said, also the gauge could be off too. Is the tank vented? How much fuel do you need? Carbureted or EFI?

I am not a big fan of a lot of the performance aftermarket pumps, they don't have a lot of longevity. I have been using Airtex pumps with no problems.

Carbed 352 Hemi. Tank is vented. Pump on there now is very noisy clicky! Tank is vented. Will have to check the draw tube BUT I would be suprised if it was too short.

Which Airtex pump do you have the most success with?

Tim

enjenjo

Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

phat rat

Why the electric instead of stock style?

moose

Quote from: "phat rat"Why the electric instead of stock style?

Do not have the answer to that one Jack. Probably looks or space...

Tim

phat rat

Quote from: "moose"

Tim

So it's someone elses car?

moose

Quote from: "phat rat"
Quote from: "moose"

Tim

So it's someone elses car?

Yes. It is a good friend of mines. We are trying to sort out a few minor bugs. Car was originally built by Lobeck's. Nice work but like I said a couple minor issues to sort out

wayne petty

i have not tried it with mine.. but other people have.   used their harbor freight scope camera to look down thru the fuel tank fillers to see inside..

one can also mount 2122 motor mounts to support and isolate the motor mounts.. pick up a pair. and hacksaw a slot 3/4 of the way thru the side. so you can place your pump mounting legs in it.   you may want to enlarge your bracket hole side. i have also drilled out the hole size in the rubber and used a piece of fuel hose down the middle to stop the sides of the bracket hole from hitting the bolt going thru them..   if you can figure a way to use a drill to make holes thru the side for you to slip the mount biscuit over the mounting bracket.. you would be much better off.

. and use a fender washer on the tops..  a pair of nuts on the bottom so you can adjust the CRUSH to reduce the transfer of sound.

one friend used the larger 2123 mounts under the bracket and the 2122 mounts over the bracket.. but it moved the pump way out..  so slotting the mount works really well .  cost.. around a buck each.

one of these mounted before the pump will save the pump and the fuel system from a lot of issues..
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/frm-hpg1

there used to be ac delco GF 52 versions available .. these used a conventional and stocked at almost every parts store and big box store automotive section so they were easy to get elements for.  best junk yard supply is from 76 to 80 fuel injected caddy sevilles eldorados..  new cups are available from dorman..

moose

Well we did some investigating today. The fuel pick-up does extend to the bottom of the tank. We noticed that they mounted the filter between the tank and the fuel pump. We will correct that. Fuel gauge appears to read correctly. There is about three feet between the top of the tank where the draw tube mounts to the pump mounted on the frame rail.

More as we figure it out!

Tim

phat rat

I don't understand why you think the filter before the pump is wrong

moose

Jack, it is not so much that it is wrong as a quick test to see if the pump is too small or weak to draw the height in addition to thru the filter.

Also the reason that we cannot run the mechanical pump is due to conversion to a big bock Chevy water pump. The adapter interfered with the snout that drove the original mechanical pump.

Bruce Dorsi

Is there a hole in the pick-up tube, causing the pump to break suction when the fuel level drops to the level of the hole?

If I am visualizing things correctly, a siphon-effect should always keep gas going to the pump based on the height difference between the fuel level and the pump inlet.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

If being smart means knowing what I am dumb at,  I must be a genius!

rumrumm

I have a pinched frame on my '32 so a SBC mechanical pump won't fit. As a result, I have to use an electric pump. After a Holley pump puked out on me after 3000 miles, I checked around and found that a lot of muscle car guys ran a Mallory pump.  I contacted Mallory, and their tech recommended their 4110 pump for my application. It is a much better design (gerotor), much quieter, and does not require a return line. It puts out a maximum pressure of 7 lbs. It has been on for 9000 miles, and I have had no problems so far. I have a filter between the tank and the pump and I run a regulator adjusted to 5 lbs. to make my Edelbrock carb happy. I did build a heat shield for it in order to keep it from getting too warm on hot summer days in heavy traffic.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/maa-4110/overview/
Lynn
'32 3W

I write novels, too. https://lsjohanson.com