Small trailer tire pressure

Started by junkyardjeff, August 10, 2014, 10:31:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

junkyardjeff

My small boat trailer has 8 inch tires and it said something about 60 psi on them but that seemed too high so I put 45 in them,I had the boat on the lake the last couple weekends and on the trip to the lakes the trailer shook my truck a bit so would 35 be enough for those small tires. I was wondering if the tires had a bunch of flat spots due to not being used much the last few years.

wayne petty

probably NOT...

how is the suspension in the trailer.. are the leaf springs rusted into a pack where they won't slip and slide..

do your trailer need any kind of shock absorbers to dampen the responses..

just for kicks..

http://www.easternmarine.com/8-and-10-Trailer-Tire-Rim/

http://www.easternmarine.com/tech-info/trailer-tires-wheels

this totally depends on the weight of your boat..  the weight of your trailer..

combined weight..

and how much gear you might ever carry..

perhaps you might select some lighter duty wheels and tires if your are rated for a heavier load.. keeping those as spares mounted on the trailer front.. http://www.harborfreight.com/trailer-spare-tire-carrier-93341.html

when you run the tires below max pressure.. do you get out and check them for heating up once in a while.

just thoughts..

what would be Neat.. if you made one of those spare tire mounts..  that employed a drop down device.. so you could swing it down. to allow the front of the trailer to roll easy front and back straight..  using a matching the trailer wheel hub on it.. .. why.. you would instantly have a spare wheel hub if you needed one..

junkyardjeff

It was fine the last time I used it pulling it with the same truck so maybe its the tires,the trailer is only 7 years old and the suspension is not rusty so it has to be out of round tires if not the pressure.

enjenjo

they are supposed to have 60 psi. Running the pressure too low allows the tire to flex, heating it up, and ruptures the plies internally. That makes the tire vibrate, and shortly it blows
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

Arnold

Physics problem with small tires..it is pretty hard..and dangerous to check tire heat under some circumstances. They heat up so fast..what was not that hot..the last time you checked..is now blown out.The tire flex at speed must be just crazy when the sidewalls flex.There must be some frequency/vibration point that just breaks down the sidewall rubber.
 I go with the manufacturer.

Harry

I'm amazed at how fast those tiny tires are turning.
If you are doing 50 MPH, those little tires are going 200 MPH.

junkyardjeff

If I have to get new tires its going to 12 inch tires

wayne petty

a million ducks and a 12" pianist. is all i can say to that request.  :shock:

chris spokes

I run the same on my boat trailer ,when I first bought it I blew two tyres in twelve months and my tyre man told me to never run them under 60 psi ten years on and I've only changed tyres due to wear and tear
I would check for tyre out of round because that's where it all starts
he who has the most toys wins