Remote start and carbureted engine...

Started by My52Chebby, August 05, 2014, 11:12:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

My52Chebby

I met a guy at a car show this weekend and we started discussing adding a remote start to my 350 carbureted small block. He was saying that I won't have any problem seeing as I already have an electric fuel pump (mechanical pump location holds bracket for A/C)

The fuel pump is wired on the accessory side same as the remote start so once I press the remote start, the fuel pump starts, the carb gets the fuel it needs... No need for pumping the carb to start...

Is this making any sense???

Comments, hints, any help welcome...

My52Chebby

crdnblu

Your other potential concern is that pumping the carburetor throttle also sets the choke, & opens the butterflies slightly, in addition to activating the accelerator pump.  You may, or may not, not need the choke function to start the engine.......

chimp koose

In cold climates like here there used to be a few problems with the old pump the throttle /carb style remote starts. Main problem was the throttle cable hanging open when the throttle was pumped causing a racing cold engine.

wayne petty

question.. on Cold mornings.. Does the car start every morning without pumping the gas at all???

if so.. then a remote start will probably work..

if not.. it will require more than i know about remote starts as i have Never seen one here.. where my winter wardrobe is a windbreaker or a sweatshirt.

the rube goldberg in me would like to see a set of powered dyno rollers to park the car on.. leave it in gear and strapped down..  hit the remote starter button to turn on the ignition.. and the second button to kick the rollers in. if it did not burn the tires off because somebody set the parking brake..  it might have the engine running and the entire drive train warmed up.. or the worst case. find the car out in the middle of the street where the dyno rollers tossed the whole car because the rear tires were locked up..  just  crazy late night thoughts.  :roll:

crdnblu

It could possibly be accomplished using one of these throttle solenoids:

http://www.summitracing.com/search/part-type/carburetor-solenoids-and-brackets

You would also need a multi-channel remote, IMHO. 1st channel to initially set the solenoid, (open the throttle blades, set the choke, squirt some fuel); 2nd channel to activate the remote-start sequence.