Paint help needed

Started by Beck, June 10, 2014, 08:54:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Beck

I have been spraying metallic mixing paint for detail parts. The paint store would just mix the metallic with some clear for me.  I have a SBC with it on the intake manifold, the centers of the stock valve covers and water pump. I have used it on motorcycle parts like the primary covers.  I like the appearance.

When I started using this the metallic really glittered. The last quart I bought the paint looks just kind of grey. It shines, but doesn't sparkle. I'm sure I bought a different "color". I looked on a chart at a custom paint shop yesterday. They have about 6 "colors" of metallic. Realistically they are the same color just different metallic qualities. The painter said some sparkle from the side and not the front, and others sparkle from the front and not the side. I don't understand. Before this conversation I thought the only difference was the coarseness of the metallic. I believe my current paint is fine metallic. . My current can is Omni single stage urethane, labeled "Aluminum". I expect that is the name on the mixing can. I will be buying two stage paint the next time.  I want to protect future jobs from fading with good clear.

I want the glitter back. Does anyone have any suggestions?

idrivejunk

Best I can tell this appears to be a breakdown of communication, or rather a result of changing terminology. When you're asking for metallic they are showing you aluminum mixing toners. Try asking for "flake" instead. This would not mean dry pearl mixing toners (those exist now, powered pearl) but a product such as sold by House of Color, and intended for use in clearcoats. Metal Flake, not Metallics.
Matt

Beck

The first product that I used was a mixing color, as was the latest. This would have been used in a production paint match mix. I'm sure I have the correct style of product, just the wrong metallic toner, as you called it. It is even the same brand as I previously used.
I had some of the latest parts in the sun today. It does brighten up considerably with the sunlight, naturally. It looks really dull in the garage.

idrivejunk

I see. Well, in every mixing toner system, theres a "sparkle" metallic. They may not call it that but it is the one with VARYING sizes of aluminum flakes. Coarse (large) flakes will look darker when viewing a panel painted with them head-on (at a perpendicular angle) than fine (small) flakes. Mixing the two together gives what is called in paint school a "sparkle effect".

Too bad you don't have the old can to see what number you had before.

Here is a page listing all the Omni mixing colors. Click on colors and tints. Guessing it might be M127, 157, or 551.

http://us.ppgrefinish.com/PPG-Refinish-Mobile/Products/Automotive-Refinish/Omni
Matt

Beck

Quote from: "idrivejunk"Here is a page listing all the Omni mixing colors. Click on colors and tints. Guessing it might be M127, 157, or 551.

http://us.ppgrefinish.com/PPG-Refinish-Mobile/Products/Automotive-Refinish/Omni

I will check those out on my next trip to the paint store.
I am also curious about the M591, 592, and 594.

Thanks for the information.