Upholstered a bit more...

Started by My52Chebby, June 07, 2014, 10:34:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

My52Chebby

Hi all,

Got a bit more done on the truck project. I upholstered the underdash unit, raised door panels and cab surround. Recovered the steering wheel to match the color of my seat. That swatch hanging behind the raised door panel shows the contrast.

Test fitted the A/C switches and vents, the tranny position indicator and steering column. Finished up the wire loom ends too.

Also fabricated door corners to straighten the door panel instead of the curved inner panel, these also allowed me to countersink the plastic panel fasteners.

Next I'm finalizing the upholstery design on the door panels. Kick panels and rear wall storage panels will be easy in comparision.

My52Chebby

river1

Most people have a higher than average number of legs.

chris spokes

that's looking very nice  8)  8)
he who has the most toys wins

phat46

kb426

TEAM SMART

UGLY OLDS

That's looking REALLY nice ... 8)    Can you provide a photo where your braded wiring loom goes from the door to the dash panel ??  It looks like you did something different there that looks MUCH better than the regular
"drill the hole & stick it in" like we always see...

The color combo really looks good .... );b(

Thanks ...

Bob ............ :wink:
1940 Oldsmobile- The "Ugly Olds"
1931 Ford sedan- Retirement project

***** First Member of Team Smart*****

My52Chebby

QuoteCan you provide a photo where your braided wiring loom goes from the door to the dash panel ??

Here's a close-up of the loom...

I shaped aluminum blocks to accept the loom ends (Watson's Streetworks). The ends are the ONLY part I used from the loom kit, the braided hose is actually a plumbing item from the hardware store. The plumbing braid has a tighter braid and is held it place with JB Weld epoxy, not the supplied nut.

Also, the braided hose is fixed at the dash and moves into the raised door panel. Here is what the raised door panel looks like from the backside.

The raised door panels hold the stock looking door and window handles but they're really electric micro-switches. The "ramp" guides the braid inside the door panel. The wires are looped in a gentle loop that returns the wires to the two switches.

While we're at it, I'll show you the work I've done on the door hinge plates. I fabricated some stainless covers. First I adjusted the doors and corrected the door gaps. Once satisfied with the door adjustments, I pinned both the door to the hinge and hinge to the cab.

Pinned door through hinge (see drill bit):

Pinned hinge to cab (see 3/16" rod):

Here is one of the stainless steel escutcheons in situ:

Here's what I took off the truck... BTW, they were spot welded to the hinge.

The aluminum buck is reversible but I still had to fabricate two bucks. The edges or the bucks were routered (with a trim router and 1/8" radius bit). If held securely, aluminum can be routered like wood using carbide tools.

Please feel free to browse through my truck album... Questions and comments welcomed.

http://public.fotki.com/skylark/1952-chevy-pickup/

My52Chebby

UGLY OLDS

That is SLICK  :!:  :!:     I REALLY like that ....VERY nice work .... :idea:
 Very well thought out & it fits like it belongs there ..   8)

Those are the little "details" that a lot of people miss..

VERY well done ..... );b(

Thanks ...Bob .... :wink:
1940 Oldsmobile- The "Ugly Olds"
1931 Ford sedan- Retirement project

***** First Member of Team Smart*****

idrivejunk

The "look at, figure out, invent" approach is SOOO much more rewarding than buying and installing. I enjoy seeing a creative build which reflects that. Neat door corners and raised panels, very nice.
Matt

jaybee

That's top quality work. I like the idea of using the stainless fixture lines...a little thought and effort & you've saved a significant amount of money...plus built something unique.
Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength. Eric Hoffer  (1902 - 1983)