Getting rid of the serpentine belt system

Started by junkyardjeff, May 22, 2014, 11:00:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

junkyardjeff

My 88 bronco with a 5.0 developed a coolant leak and it turns out the timing chain cover is corroded where it meets the block so I am thinking about changing to V belts while its apart,I know I will need about everything from the front of a 302 with V belts but will I also need the older timing chain cover too. I can see serpentine belts on vehicles where space is limited but not on a truck with plenty of room.

Harry

Check which way the water pump turns.

416Ford

I only have a power steering pump and an alternator and what a pain it was trying to find the correct offset pullies. Make sure you have all the pullies to match up before jumping into that swap.
Not one of Fords better ideas. But still better then the alternatives. :)
You never have time to do it right the first time but you always have time to do it again.

UGLY OLDS

Why not just change the timing cover if everything else is working properly  ?? Seems like a lot of un-necessary work...  Good excuse to replace the timing chain ...

Bob..... :wink:
1940 Oldsmobile- The "Ugly Olds"
1931 Ford sedan- Retirement project

***** First Member of Team Smart*****

jaybee

I'm with Bob. By now I've put a whole bunch of miles on cars with serpentine systems. My experience with them has been highly positive.
Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength. Eric Hoffer  (1902 - 1983)

Okiedokie

I agree with staying with serpentine. Getting Ford brackets and pulleys lined out for v belts was not fun the last time I did that. I much prefer the factory serpentine on my 5.0.

kb426

I vote for serp. also. I chased pulleys for quite a while several times to do both of these setups. I know what you're in for.  :D
TEAM SMART

papastoyss

Serpentine belts are much more reliable. A v belt w/a crack is not long for this world, a serpentine will last another couple years longer. I have plenty of things to fix w/o taking on things that ain't broke.
grandchildren are your reward for not killing your teenagers!

junkyardjeff

I ended up just putting the correct timing chain cover on it.