seat comfort

Started by zzebby, May 01, 2014, 06:28:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

zzebby

My daily is a 71 F100 short box, 5.0 injected, computer, AOD.  Good A/C and fun to drive, but it is crippling me. I am not overly tall (5'11") but cramped legs and too close to the steering wheel.   Thought about cutting away some of the seat back springs in the stock bench but also considered a later model where the seat back looks thinner. Still have the stock tank behind the seat, but it doesn't take up much room,  it is the thickness of the seat back.  Any suggestions on a late model that might fit OK ?  A Ranger would not be wide enough would it ??  Dodge Dakota ?

wayne petty

i ran across this offsite post a while back...

http://www.fordification.com/tech/seats.htm

might help you...

one might really look at moving the exhaust to the right.. and install an inside the frame tank on the left..  there are a bunch of ways to perform this safely..  and for ease of filling..

hint.. you can also take a chain type muffler tubing cutter or one of the 4 roller types.. and find a fuel filler neck that is close to the right diameter.. but slightly longer..  with a Thread in fuel cap.. to avoid the whimpee seals on the replacement caps..  since there is no more leaded fuel the point is kinda moot about keeping the big opening.. and having the vapors leak out..   why a muffler tubing cutter. you don't want to make sparks in a vapor filled fuel tank in the junk yard.. even though most punch holes in the tanks to drain them..

just thoughts..

zzebby

Thanks Wayne,  that is the advice I needed, a thin back.

enjenjo

On my 62 F250, I installed a seat out of a 77 F100. as I recall, it bolted to the stock seat tracks
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

Mac

I put a Pick-A-Part seat from an early 90s F150 in my `63 Chevy pickup with in cab tank. It helped a bit with the legroom and otherwise a big improvement in comfort. The tank in the Chevy doesn't really prevent the seat from going back because it's wedge shaped, thin at the top. Your Ford is probably the same. Mine cost all of $37 and I had to reconfigure the foot mounts slightly to use the OE threaded holes in the floor.
Who\'s yer Data?

Arnold

I had a 72 F250 4x4 that rode so rough I could not tolerate it.
I put a 60/40 split..power,leather out of a 72 Fleetwood :lol:
Talk about a heavy seat!
I am 5'10 and..the seat was a tight fit..getting in was a tiny pita..no big deal..but there was so much adjustment in the seat mechanism that once in and driving it was GREAT!

Jokester

I recently had my seats out to re-locate the battery and shut off switch.  In the process I inadvertently lowered the back of the seat about 5/8 of an inch.  I thought I had bought a new car.  sitting posture is much more comfortable and the steering wheel angle even feels better.

You might try mocking yours up with the front raised or the back lowered.  Do some experimenting.  Worked for me.

.bjb
To the world you\'re just one person; but to one person, you might be the world.