material for steering arms

Started by chimp koose, April 09, 2014, 08:40:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

chimp koose

I will have to make steering arms for my econoline spindles on the T coupe. The ackerman is off too much for me to accept.I will make the arms from  a 1 1/4"square piece of material as one flat locating edge requires it. I have a nice length of it in mild steel. Is that a good enough material or should I use something else?My intent is to make these with a correct for the vehicle ackerman angle.After these it will be on to the steering and panhard rod.

unklian

Pete

Quote from: "chimp koose"I will have to make steering arms for my econoline spindles on the T coupe. The ackerman is off too much for me to accept.I will make the arms from  a 1 1/4"square piece of material as one flat locating edge requires it. I have a nice length of it in mild steel. Is that a good enough material or should I use something else?My intent is to make these with a correct for the vehicle ackerman angle.After these it will be on to the steering and panhard rod.

I would use HT SAE4140.
No OEM steering parts are made from mild steel.

chimp koose

Thanks for the replies.I wonder about the material requirement because I have seen steering arms in the aftermarket for other apps that seem to be cast, but you never know what is in the alloy if anything.The adverts never seem to state the material used.

enjenjo

If you have the original steering arms, any chance of reshaping them to work?
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

unklian

Quote from: "enjenjo"If you have the original steering arms, any chance of reshaping them to work?

That would be first choice.
Heat and bend.

chimp koose

these arms are so far out I cant see how they worked on the donor econoline van.They are quite thick and would need to be bent a lot.the hole for the tie rod  and king pin run parallel to the vehicle with no noticeable angling inward to axle centerline. The arms are held on by a large threaded portion of the arm passing through a round hole in the spindle and kept from rotating by a large matching flat section on spindle and steering arm.I can machine a set of arms to fit and then find the exact spot to drill for tie rods to correct the ackerman. I have no problem machining the parts ,I just was wondering what material is adequate for the task. I will have to start with about a 1 1/2" square material to provide the flat section required.Sorry I haven't responded to suggestions in a timely fashion but my home computer is toast and I am online from work.

enjenjo

Then 4140 would be good as long as no welding is involved, use 4130 if it needs welding or bending. Both alloys should be normalized after machining to reduce stress. 1045 high strength mild steel will work too, it's cheaper, but harder to find.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.