car trailer design

Started by WZ JUNK, April 08, 2014, 12:55:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WZ JUNK

A friend is wanting to build a simple single axle nostalgia race car trailer for his gasser.  I know there is a rule of thumb for designing the tongue and axle placement but I have forgot what they are.  I am hoping that Frank or someone will remember.

John
WZ JUNK
Chopped 48 Chevy Truck
Former Crew chief #974 1953 Studebaker   
Past Bonneville record holder B/BGCC 249.9 MPH

Charlie Chops 1940

google single axle trailer plans and similar searches.
A good friend will come and bail you out of jail...but, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying. "Wow...that was fun!"

Poster geezer for retirement....

A Hooligan!

chris spokes

he who has the most toys wins

jaybee

Great way to describe how to determine the axle location. The goal is to get 60% of the weight ahead of the axle. That's a rule of thumb which helps keep the unit from becoming unstable behind the tow vehicle.
Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength. Eric Hoffer  (1902 - 1983)

phat rat

I've always been under the impression it was 1" behind center of bed for every ft of bed length, 15 ft trailer the axle would be 15" in back of center. The 60% factor would put the axle 3" further back on that 15 ft bed. I don't see where it would be a big difference from one to the other.
Some days it\'s not worth chewing through the restraints.

1800guy

My single-axle tilt trailer has a 12 foot deck.  The axle center is 74" from the front of the deck and the ball center is 56" ahead of the deck.  The trailer is very stable both loaded and empty at highway speeds.  Best advice I received was to buy good trailer-rated tires.  Worst problem is forgetting that you have the trailer behind you :D
My project is 90% finished, with only 90% to go.

phat rat

Quote from: "1800guy"My single-axle tilt trailer has a 12 foot deck.  The axle center is 74" from the front of the deck and the ball center is 56" ahead of the deck.  The trailer is very stable both loaded and empty at highway speeds.  Best advice I received was to buy good trailer-rated tires.  Worst problem is forgetting that you have the trailer behind you :D

But if some day you wind up with just a bit more weight on the rear you'll find it unstable above a certain speed. As far as trailer rated tires being the best, that's something I've never paid attention to and have never had a problem. I would estimate that I have over 70K on my 24 ft trailer and it's never had trailer tires on it and I've only had one blowout. One thing about trailer rated tires. Did you know they are all made in China? Have you ever read some of the negative comments on the RV forums about tire problems
Some days it\'s not worth chewing through the restraints.

1800guy

I adjust the car position to put 275-300 lbs on the hitch - seems to be pretty stable.  

Although the tires say Made In Canada, I suppose they could be fakes.  I'll keep my fingers crossed.  My understanding of the value of trailer tires is in increased sidewall stiffness, but that could be wrong too.
My project is 90% finished, with only 90% to go.

Crosley.In.AZ

I'd suggest a dual axle trailer for safety.  Nostalgia is all fine n dandy , but I prefer safety factor
Tony

Plutophobia (Fear of money)

tomslik

Quote from: "1800guy"I adjust the car position to put 275-300 lbs on the hitch - seems to be pretty stable.  

Although the tires say Made In Canada, I suppose they could be fakes.  I'll keep my fingers crossed.  My understanding of the value of trailer tires is in increased sidewall stiffness, but that could be wrong too.

that, and the sit more than regular tires so they don't get flexed as much and brakes on BOTH axles is a good idea...my 18ft flatbed  only has 1 axle brakes and it can be an issue at times...
The last thing I want to do is hurt you. But it\'s still on my list

PeterR

Quote from: "tomslik"...... and brakes on BOTH axles is a good idea...my 18ft flatbed  only has 1 axle brakes and it can be an issue at times...

I have a simple approach.   If a trailer needs two axles to carry the load, it needs two axle brakes to stop it.

tomslik

Quote from: "PeterR"
Quote from: "tomslik"...... and brakes on BOTH axles is a good idea...my 18ft flatbed  only has 1 axle brakes and it can be an issue at times...

I have a simple approach.   If a trailer needs two axles to carry the load, it needs two axle brakes to stop it.
I agree, but there's a lot of trailers that were built before 1993 (mine)...feds mandated brakes on both axles if it's a 2 axle trailer...mine is a 92..
The last thing I want to do is hurt you. But it\'s still on my list