Added To My Retirement

Started by 40, April 03, 2014, 10:12:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Well....My wife was harping at me to add something to my retirement earlier this year so I bought the 55 BelAir Sedan a few weeks ago.She then reminded me that it was almost April 15th and I still hadn't added anything to my retirement so ...to please her of course....I purchased this 35 Ford Sedan.This morning,she asked again about my retirement and I politely asked her if she'd like me to purchase another car.......I think I'll be able to see OK later today after the swelling goes down around my black eye! The 35 is a really nice rust-free car that is nearly 100% original with the exception of a very discretely done hydraulic brake conversion.Not sure what the long term plans are for the old girl but for this Summer anyway,I'll just enjoy it as is.The old farthead runs perfectly and it drives as I assume it did new in 1935.
"The one who dies with the most friends wins"

WZ JUNK

Good choice.  Nice car.

My wife was upset with me because I had thoughts of selling one of mine.  I am always in trouble.

John
WZ JUNK
Chopped 48 Chevy Truck
Former Crew chief #974 1953 Studebaker   
Past Bonneville record holder B/BGCC 249.9 MPH

39deluxe

Thats a beauty. I don't think I would change anything except maybe go to 2 carbs, Fenton headers and maybe finned heads. Other things might include a 12 volt upgrade and ignition.

tom

rumrumm

Nice! I would be very tempted to keep that car basically original other than a few minor improvements.
Lynn
'32 3W

I write novels, too. https://lsjohanson.com

phat46

Wow, what a nice car! Congrats

purplepickup

It's nice to have a wife that encourages you to keep contributing to your 401-K....ar. :D  Your latest kar is a beaut Daryl!
George

bucketmouth

Not sure what the long term plans are for the old girl......now after the black eye and the accompanying concussion were you talking about the good wife or the car?
I'm with 39deluxe on this one,the juice brakes are good and the other thing would be converting it to 12 v. I did the same to my brothers stock 37 coupe it was a vast improvement and made the driving experience so much better and still kept the old car feel.
I maybe from down under but I know which way is up.
Oh hell there goes another head rush.

Charlie Chops 1940

That's a nice old man retirement car! You won't get into anymore trouble with that one.
A good friend will come and bail you out of jail...but, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying. "Wow...that was fun!"

Poster geezer for retirement....

A Hooligan!

UGLY OLDS

That one is nice ...  8)     Maybe 12 volts & that's all .. The juice brakes would be my only other addition & that parts already done ...

It just looks to nice to "mess with" ..... );b(

Bob.... :wink:
1940 Oldsmobile- The "Ugly Olds"
1931 Ford sedan- Retirement project

***** First Member of Team Smart*****

"And the not so nice! "  

I have started a couple of projects years ago with that type of car.....didn't take me long to figure out that I was much farther ahead to start with a car similar to the 35 I recently aquired.I really admire the guys with the ability to take a pile of horse crap and turn it into a rose but unfortunately I don't have that level of skill and have to rely on a body shop to straighten all of the bumps and blemishes which usually translates to big $$.I may convert the old gal to 12 volt at some point this Summer but it has a very discretely mounted battery tender that has a connection just below the running board and even though I haven't plugged it in,it starts very easily with the 6volt system.
 Charlie.....I believe you are correct.....I don't see myself getting into any trouble driving that old turd....Definitely not my choice for a get-away car if I decide to rob a bank! Should provide a nice conversation piece for the real oldtimers that wander around at our cruise nights......I'm sure it will trigger some stories from "The Good Old Days"! I always enjoy hearing those! Speaking of converting the old gurl to 12 volt.....Can I just decrease the voltage to the 6 volt pieces or do I need to change every piece over to 12 volt? It's been 30+ years since I've messed with anything 6 volt and my memory isn't what it used to be......Any suggestions?

rooster

here's some reading on it!

https://www.fillingstation.com/articles/6volt.htm

That sure is a nice car you have!

Rochie

Daryle,
you never cease to amaze me when you can pull something like that out of the woodwork. (No pun intended)  How do you come by these? I know the 35 coupe you started with was as good as this one ...maybe a little better

Hey Wayne ......Good to see you're still hanging around here! Any plans coming South this year.....perhaps the 50's? Finding the good old tin is sometimes difficult...but....NOT nearly as hard as trying to get my wife to pay for it! I have my eye on a 36 Ford 2-dr Flatback nearly identical in condition to the 35......I made the fellow a very fair,realistic offer but he is still holding out for the moon.....we'll see if he comes around. Not sure how many more projects I should stock pile......after working 10/12 hour days pounding nails,it's getting harder and harder to get myself motivated to head to the shop after dinner......all I want to do is sit on my butt and go for a ride!

Quote from: "rooster"here's some reading on it!

https://www.fillingstation.com/articles/6volt.htm

That sure is a nice car you have!

Thanks for the link.......If it gives me any trouble the conversion looks simple enough to accomplish in a couple of nights after work.