I hate body work

Started by Beck, March 29, 2014, 02:58:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

idrivejunk

Quote from: "Beck"What is everyone paying for clear? .

I think most paint stores that still serve walk-ins will probably have a deal where you can walk out with a gallon of clear and hardener for it around $100-150 in a value oriented lineup. For example, Omni stuff (by PPG). Thats something I have used successfully but it has a poor reputation, however its reasonably priced.
Matt

idrivejunk

Quote from: "Beck"I have never tried it the other way by allowing the base to dry longer.

You definitely should. Solvent trapped in basecoat is a very common source of problems. You should be able to sand base (it should be that dry) before clear. Refer to product tech info for the maximum time you can let it dry before clear and just stay within that and it will stick. Matching reducer selection to booth temp is how to make the base dry right.
Matt

Beck

Quote from: "idrivejunk"booth

Whats that?
My garage is my booth, much to my wife's dislike!

Nason is going to be used.

Thanks everyone for your input!

Beck

Quote from: "idrivejunk"Omni stuff (by PPG). Thats something I have used successfully but it has a poor reputation, however its reasonably priced.

That is the clear I had problems with. I don't think it has enough UV blocking. The base works fine for me, but not the clear. I have successfully used their primers too.

idrivejunk

Nason in the garage sounds perfect! I agree with your Omni statement. Change "booth" to ambient and the song remains the same. Hope they treat you right at the paint gettin' place. Squint and imagine its a Nomad or something, maybe you won't hate the chore as bad. Good luck!
Matt

Digger

I don't know if you can even get Omni anymore it was replaced around here with Shop Line which we have used from time to time with good results.
A lot of guys spend tons of time and money building their dream car and then when it comes time to paint they want the cheapest materials they can find--I don't understand that. I have been doing this since the late 50's and I think I have at least learned that if you cheap out and have to do it over--It ain't cheap any more. Buy the good stuff!
Just when you think you are winning the Rat Race, along come faster rats!

Digger

kb426

I still buy Omni for select projects.
TEAM SMART