1961 Chrysler Power Steering Pump

Started by Carnut, March 18, 2014, 04:58:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Carnut

It kinda appear I'm up a creek without a paddle or steering at the moment.

The power steering pump on my 61 Chrysler has been leaking a bit more that I would like so I happened to have a spare pump I pulled off a somewhat newer Chrysler and put on it. It leaked worse than the original one.

I've checked around quite a bit on the net and haven't found anyone with a replacement in stock.

Best I've found is that CARDONE Ind. will remanufacture my core if it gets sent in, for a nominal fee, but the kicker is they won't accept a direct ship from me to them. The insist on a local Parts Store or jobber to send it to them and then have me pick it up from the Store. I've checked a couple familiar places locally and they just don't want to deal with it.

So, anyone got any suggestions on what I can do to resolve my steering problem?

Guess its' just my age I can't figure out what to do.

Carnut

Yeah, I already ordered one on ebay last week, than got a cancelled sale and got my money back.

Guess I'll try this one, it's from a different ebay vendor.

Heh, heh, OK, I've done a buy it now on ebay, guess we'll see how it goes.

Hope I can get the old resevoir changed over.

Thanks.

I had checked out RockAuto and it does appear I could mail my old pump to them and they would handle shipping it to Cardone In. Guess I might try them if the ebay deal works out.

Carnut

OK, got the power steering pump that was listed on ebay, the guy came thru and shipped it right out. Not like the other guy.

Anyhow, Roger and I got the reservoir changed over and then I installed it on my Chrysler. Half hour job only took 3hrs, new return hose was a bit 'tight' and didn't want to go, it was a fight to the death, but I think I won.

So, started it up and it doesn't appear to be leaking, guess I'll find out on my drive to the country dance club tonight.

Thanks enjenjo for sending me back to ebay.