Code 23 in 1983 Monte Carlo... internet mis-lead me?

Started by Crosley.In.AZ, March 16, 2014, 10:01:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Crosley.In.AZ

Other day on a breakfast run with my wife, the CEL came on in the dash of the Monte.  CEL = Check Engine Light.

Car ran fine. Ran the errands, drove home.

A check online for the code show'd me DTC in a OBD-1 GM car was a bad MAT sensor.  Manifold Air Temp sensor.  The Monte does Not have a MAT sensor.  Internet mislead me. LOL

A buddy with an account in Alldata checked.  A bad Mix control Solenoid is code 23 for the Monte Carlo 1983, VIN = H engine : 305 v8

I checked the connector on the E-Qjet and sure enoguh, the connector looked plugged in.  the Zip tie had broken and the connector moved out enough to disconnect.

I like simple fixes.  A 31 yr old car with 239k miles on the systems and it still runs well. Engine was replaced 90k ago.  I just replaced valve cover gaskets on that engine.  Cork gaskets hard as Iron
Tony

Plutophobia (Fear of money)

wayne petty

http://i1207.photobucket.com/albums/bb476/waynep712/C4codes1.gif

CCC and C4 codes for GM feedback carbs...

glad it was a simple fix..

are you getting over 20 MPG.. with that car..???  V6's would get 25/26mpg  305s' could get 23 and 350s could get 21 mpg..

if you are not..  take a test drive with a digital dwell meter hooked to the green test lead . set to 6 cylinder scale.. . make sure you are getting 25 to 40 degrees of dwell at a steady  55 mph cruise speed..

i actually got to attend GM tech classes on these twice..  once on the CCC system in 81/82... again around 84 on the C4 system..

then once more on the TBI system..

whats really interesting.. almost all fuel control systems are based on these early units..