Rear steer rack suggestions

Started by chimp koose, February 28, 2014, 08:25:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

chimp koose

I am going to start work on making the steering for my T coupe soon. I want to use a rear steer rack and do a unisteer type deal. I will likely make my own steering arms for the econoline spindles I am using because the ackerman is out to lunch .I can modify (shorten) the rack in my machine shop. What rack do you guys recommend I look at ?I am thinking non power and the front end maybe 1200lbs. I would like to do a unisteer job and then make my panhard the same length and angle as the steering shaft to minimise bump steer.What material would you make the steering arms out of?We will be hitting -59C or -75F this weekend,I will not pick the wrecking yard this weekend!

enjenjo

VW Rabbit had a nice manual rear steer rack.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

32 Chevy

Cavalier rack is small and light too.

papastoyss

Honda Civics around 2000-2005 or so had a rack w/long tierods that mounted to the center of the rack instead coming out of the ends which should give less toe in change thru suspension travel. Some GMs also had this, maybe the aforementioned Cavelier.
grandchildren are your reward for not killing your teenagers!

32 Chevy

Any of those Honda racks manual or were they all power?

enjenjo

Quote from: "32 Chevy"Any of those Honda racks manual or were they all power?

As far as I know, they were all power.

If I am correct, Chimp wants to shorten the rack, and connect a cross type drag link to the right end.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

chimp koose

Right Enjenjo , I will use one end of the rack. I had a 81 honda accord and it had a manual steer rack. I may have a hard time finding one around here ,they rusted away a decade ago.Whatever rack I use ,Iwill end up shortening it up to minimum useable length in order to get the steering rod as long as possible.I want to make the panhard rod and the steering rod the same length and angle as best I can to reduce bump steer.