Mustang II control arms

Started by 416Ford, February 20, 2014, 02:09:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

416Ford

Here is a picture of my cross-member.

You never have time to do it right the first time but you always have time to do it again.

enjenjo

Good pictures. The control arms look to be in good shape, if it was mine, I would be tempted to shorten the lower arms near the inner bushing, box that area, and reinstall them. The sway bar can be bent more at the existing bend to fix any misalignment. Since the inner pivot point does not change, you would not need to remove the rack extensions, just shorten the tie rods at the outer end. If you are not comfortable with your welding in that area, you could have them TIG welded by a pro, after you have tacked it all up.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

416Ford

That was going to be my next question Frank. I would like to get another set of lower control arms that don't have a ton of overspay on them and shorten them.
That way I still have a stock set along with the new set of spare springs.
If I have 3/4" between the spring and cross-member with no weight on the car, how close would be a safe distance? I know the distance will change when I move the upper control arms in also.
I am budgeting a set of narrower front rims also, just not the 4-1/2 side ones.
You never have time to do it right the first time but you always have time to do it again.

enjenjo

I would say 1/4" should be enough. I have also cut the frame in an inverted T and bent the outside of the frame in to gain more room,and then reweld it.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

416Ford

My "At home" welder is only a 110 .35 buzz box and I don't like welding overhead welds any more then required.

I may try and push the 5/8" and see if I get any rubs. Won't know for sure till after the alignment shop gives it back to me.

Thanks for all the help.

416Ford

Anyone have a Speedway free shipping code?
Ordering new upper 5/8" narrower and cutting the lowers. I need the extra space on the for power steering pump.

416Ford

Well I am crossing my fingers and hoping everthing goes well.
Everything is back together, narrower and lower. Loaded it up last night and dropped it off toady at the alignment shop.
I sure hope this works and I don't have to put a taller spring in the car or go to a narrower rim.
The New Look if all goes well.

jaybee

Assuming you've got your tire rub cured I'd say you've nailed the stance. Great looking car.
Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength. Eric Hoffer  (1902 - 1983)

416Ford

Thanks Jaybee.
Have not heard from the alignment shop yet.... I am hoping that's a good thing.

416Ford

Sad part is that I just noticed how they spell there name on the building.

UGLY OLDS

Quote from: "416Ford"Sad part is that I just noticed how they spell there name on the building.

That's OK ...As long as it goes strieght when you get it back.. :shock:  :lol:  :lol:

Bob..... :wink:
1940 Oldsmobile- The "Ugly Olds"
1931 Ford sedan- Retirement project

***** First Member of Team Smart*****

416Ford

Received a call 5 minutes ago that they can't get enough camber. They will try and open up the slots in the hats tomorrow. :(

416Ford

Drove it  home tonight with the new stance. :) :) :)
It like taking it for the first drive all over again. Happy would be an understatement. :)
A special thanks to Frank.

416Ford

Looks like I was able to get about 3" out of the front. Fender now sit in a more appropriate location in my opinion.

Charlie Chops 1940

Don't ya just love it when a plan comes together? Sets nice.
A good friend will come and bail you out of jail...but, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying. "Wow...that was fun!"

Poster geezer for retirement....

A Hooligan!