Galaxie front clip question

Started by sport., February 10, 2014, 07:49:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sport.

If you read my re-intro post, you will see I have a 63 1/2 galaxie. Well the front suspension has been hacked all to living hell. I don't even know what the previous owner was thinking. Anywyas here's the dilemma I am, the car needs a clip no matter which way I look at it. I was thinking about building a tube style clip, with a MII stryle front end but I am leary on the little spindles and brakes.  Anyone, ever use a bigger spindle like a full size  crown vic or merc on that style of clip?  I will build all the crossmembers etc. I was also considering like a Howe late model stock car clip too.  If I put a stock clip back in the 63 it will need all rebuilt anyways. And I want the car to handle and have the nose down. And dropped spindles aren't cheap for a 63, I could build a whole clip for the same amount as the dropped spindles.

enjenjo

I did one using 80s Crown Vick spindles. The upper Mustang ball joint worked, I used the CV ball joint on the bottom in a Mustang II lower control arm. I fabricated the cup for the ball joint.

The steering arm on the spindle is too long for a rack and pinion steering, and the tie rod end is too low. I shortened the steering arm one inch, and tapered it for the tie rod on top. I used a Fox Mustang rack.

The upper control arm worked as is after raising the frame end to account for the difference in spindle height. This was 20 years ago.

If I was going to do this today, I would use a SN95 Mustang crossmember. This would come from a 94 to 2004 Mustang. It is heavy steel, about 3/16" thick, and bolts on with six bolts. The track is about the same as your Ford. The 1995 to 2002 Crown Vic uses the same lower ball joint, so I would use that spindle, and upper control arm, as the Mustang uses a strut type spindle. You will need to fabricate a mount for the upper control arm, allow for more caster than stock CV for handling. You could use the SN95 steering rack and tie rod ends.

The Crown Vic has 12.4" rotors, so you will need 16" wheels or larger.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

sport.

Quote from: "enjenjo"I did one using 80s Crown Vick spindles. The upper Mustang ball joint worked, I used the CV ball joint on the bottom in a Mustang II lower control arm. I fabricated the cup for the ball joint.

The steering arm on the spindle is too long for a rack and pinion steering, and the tie rod end is too low. I shortened the steering arm one inch, and tapered it for the tie rod on top. I used a Fox Mustang rack.

The upper control arm worked as is after raising the frame end to account for the difference in spindle height. This was 20 years ago.

If I was going to do this today, I would use a SN95 Mustang crossmember. This would come from a 94 to 2004 Mustang. It is heavy steel, about 3/16" thick, and bolts on with six bolts. The track is about the same as your Ford. The 1995 to 2002 Crown Vic uses the same lower ball joint, so I would use that spindle, and upper control arm, as the Mustang uses a strut type spindle. You will need to fabricate a mount for the upper control arm, allow for more caster than stock CV for handling. You could use the SN95 steering rack and tie rod ends.

The Crown Vic has 12.4" rotors, so you will need 16" wheels or larger.

The plan is to use 18" torque thrust wheels in the front and 20" in the back. I was also looking at the crown vic front crossmember. But the track is a little to wide. Now I will have to dig into this newer  mustang crossmember. I have installed a lot of mustang 2' , and I fool around with gasser's and model A dropped axles's but this big old galaxie I need it to stop and handle so I would like to use some heavier stuff up front.

kb426

If freight was cheap, I would give you what's left my crossmember. I removed the engine mount saddle portion from mine for my 51 project. If you need any measurements, there's enough left that I might be able to help.
TEAM SMART

sport.

Quote from: "kb426"If freight was cheap, I would give you what's left my crossmember. I removed the engine mount saddle portion from mine for my 51 project. If you need any measurements, there's enough left that I might be able to help.

Much apreciated !  This clip is pretty far gone up front. I don't know what the guy was thinking. The frame under this car is mint. He tried adapt some kind of upper control arm that's  looks to be off of  a 74-80 camaro. And the the spindles are 80 camaro for sure. The upper control arm mounts are flat plates with slots cut in the.the steering box is rigged in there and its a GM 525 box.  Just an over all mess for sure. It steers just well enough ot move it around the shop. The angles are all wrong. I would think the bump steer is right crazy in this thing. You could never drive it. That's for sure.

chimp koose

Ever think of a volare clip? Torsion bars to get the height right.

sport.

Quote from: "chimp koose"Ever think of a volare clip? Torsion bars to get the height right.

The problem is here in southern ontario they use tons and tons of salt on the roads and the chances of finding a good volare clip are slim to none. Trying to find the remains of a dinosaur would be easier and the dinosaur remains would  probably be in better shape lol. I have used the volare's in the front of some 55 F-100's before and that was 15 years ago. Finding a good mopar clip then was tough.  

Not really sure which path I am heading down here. I do have some stock car tube upper and lower control arms and the car already has mid 70's camaro spindles,  mabye I could design a suspension based on mid 70's camaro geometry and find a power rack that would suit the set up.

sirstude

Too bad you are so far away, there are several of those era full size Fords in the yard here, and I am sure most of the frames are good.  We only started using salt in the last few years.

Doug
1965 Impala SS  502
1941 Olds

Watcher of #974 1953 Studebaker Bonneville pas record holder B/BGCC 249.945 MPH.  He sure is FAST

www.theicebreaker.us

sport.

Quote from: "sirstude"Too bad you are so far away, there are several of those era full size Fords in the yard here, and I am sure most of the frames are good.  We only started using salt in the last few years.

Doug

All the full size fords of that era are pretty soft up here that's why I had that one brought up from Alabama in 2000. It just went through a few to many hands before it made its way back home to me. Looks like the guy got a welder from Home Depot for christmas and just let loose on the front end.  I can't figure it out for the life of me. I understand the guy wanted it to sit low and have disk brakes but come on. You just can't put stuff where ever and miss match stuff and expect it to work. The steering box is actually tacked to the side of the frame rail.

zzebby

Just to make your decisions tougher,  here in AZ  we still have lots of those in the yards and Volare or Cordobas for the T bar suspensions. There are always guys going back and forth across the country and I have family driving from AZ  to Lake Simcoe in May, they could bring whatever, lots of room.

sport.

Quote from: "zzebby"Just to make your decisions tougher,  here in AZ  we still have lots of those in the yards and Volare or Cordobas for the T bar suspensions. There are always guys going back and forth across the country and I have family driving from AZ  to Lake Simcoe in May, they could bring whatever, lots of room.

That's something to ponder.. Thanks very much!!

sport.

The shame of the whole thing  is, The car ran and handled fine before I had to sell it originally,Then next few owners after me left their mark on the old girl before I got her back..Oh well what are ya gonna do...

unklian

Is the Volare front or rear steer ?

chimp koose

I did the volare clip on a 53 merc 1/2 ton and it went well.I have a coworker who has a volare clip that is just sitting around as he ended up rebuilding the front end on his 53 ford 1/2 ton. Might be for sale,probably not cheap and shipping would be crazy $ . I do not remember if it is front or rear steer.I totally forgot that ontario cars rust so bad.We now have to watch out for flood damaged alberta cars in saskatchewan.

unklian

Quote from: "unklian"Is the Volare front or rear steer ?

Looks like rear steer.