Self Adjusting Brakes

Started by parklane, January 30, 2014, 10:06:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

parklane

Just bought a 61 Ford Galaxie, and as most of us old guys know, it doesn't have self adjusting brakes. At one time, I knew the required parts to change this over, but that was quite a few years ago. Anyone have some part numbers or part names??
If a blind person wears sunglasses, why doesn\'t a deaf person wear earmuffs??

enjenjo

Use Wagner #283 shoes, drilled for the self adjuster mechanism, use Wagner self adjuster kit F98370/1, and wagner Combikit F87351. That should supply all the parts you need. These parts are listed for a F100 with 11" by 1 3/4" brakes
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

parklane

Thanks Frank. I appreciate that info.

wayne petty

don't know if you will get this..

with the advent of Imported parts...

please verify that the when you flex the self adjuster cable.. that the star wheel actually does rotate properly..

i have found cables too short.. and too long by just slight amounts...

i have also on full floating rear axles.. and truck sized brakes. started using high temp silicone on the ends of the springs .. and any hold down springs

so if something breaks.. it hangs from the silicone and does not wedge under the shoe tearing up the drum..

here is a set of 357 brakes before i installed the self adjuster and parking brake lever on the back of a 1 ton ford van

http://i1207.photobucket.com/albums/bb476/waynep712/357_rear_shoes_brakes_zpseac675cb.jpg~original

lastly.. and i know that most everybody knows better..

DON"T USE DIELECTRIC tune up grease on brake components..

not on the self adjuster threads.. not on the caliper slides.. not on the lug nut threads..

why.. because it will lock them up tighter than lock tight ever dreamed of holding.  there are solids in dielectric tune up grease that allow the material to become thermally conductive..

there are brake lubes in silicone.  i worry that the packager employee has just used which ever silicone they have to fill the packages..

white lithium grease..  out of a squeeze tube is best.

a 30 ton shop press could not budge a seized caliper side pin one time when somebody used dielectric grease..

parklane

Thanks for that added info Wayne. Yes, I always use the white lithium grease on the star wheel, and all rub points between the shoe and backing plate.

fast401

Frank.  Is this the same stuff I need for the 63 9 inch?
Disturbing the peace since 1970!!!!!

enjenjo

Quote from: "fast401"Frank.  Is this the same stuff I need for the 63 9 inch?

Yes.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.