Studebaker trucks

Started by enjenjo, January 22, 2014, 12:11:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Beck

Quote from: "Crosley"
Quote from: "phat rat"Yes co-owning can lead to problems. I have my own car haulers, a 24' and a 34'. So if something doesn't work I have only myself to blame

Yep , co-owning : does not always work well.  Been there, 30 yrs ago. Still remember the BS from it.

i've owned 2000 & 2006 chevy 1500 trucks. Both needed air bag suppliment supports on rear leaf springs to haul-tow much of any size trailer.  My car trailer is a aluminum Featherlite open trailer

The Featherlite's are sweet as long as you are able to drive everything on. When you occasionally have to winch up something that doesn't roll I prefer the steel deck. The paint may be damaged but the aluminum would have deeper damage. Plus the $$$ difference. Another buddy has a Featherlite and I do admire it.

I have wanted to add a set of bags since I bought my truck new in 2000. That hasn't happened yet. I was always going to put an injector spacer on too.. still haven't bought one.

Arnold

Quote from: "Crosley"
Quote from: "phat rat"Yes co-owning can lead to problems. I have my own car haulers, a 24' and a 34'. So if something doesn't work I have only myself to blame

Yep , co-owning : does not always work well.  Been there, 30 yrs ago. Still remember the BS from it.

i've owned 2000 & 2006 chevy 1500 trucks. Both needed air bag suppliment supports on rear leaf springs to haul-tow much of any size trailer.  My car trailer is a aluminum Featherlite open trailer

I live where there are a lot of horse trailers. The standard around here is a GMC 2500 4wd with a 6.0L and a Ford F250 4wd..and up! to tow a basic 2 horse horse trailer.
 I asked my g/f..in front of a bunch of her g/f's..who tow horse trailers..why a half ton..1500 series..F150..Yukon etc  would not do the job..when 2 horses..and the trailer..could not be all that heavy.
They all said "live weight"..horses moving around even a little bit really affects the tongue weight..and the back of a 1/2 ton truck is just not strong enough anymore.
 One of them also has  a Yukon XL 1500 and said it was just not enough vehicle to tow a 2 horse trailer with 2 horses in it.A few of them have 1500 Suburbans too
 I know very little about towing.Haven't done much of it.
 They all seemed to say that my 1 ton work van..no hitch lol ..and my 3/4 ton HD Police Suburban would tow pretty much anything.
 I would be embarrassed..so would a lot of men :lol: to even drive/park..a trailer around my g/f or her friends.Man..they can load horses..stuff into their trucks..trailers..drive these things..back them up..park them.Wow. Not me :lol:
 Some pretty nice,big,powerful trucks around these girls.
 My 1 ton van and my 3/4 ton 'Burb get respect for "tow vehicles" lol..around them.
 My buddy had a good size boat..I think it had about an 8'? beam and was about 30' long.He also had a Yukon XL..he needed to move it and asked the guys who move them what he could use to move it..they laughed and said "not a half ton truck"..they used a 1 ton van.
  He called me and asked if I had a hitch..I said.."No..but feel free to put one on for me
:twisted:  and use my truck"

enjenjo

I co-owned a trailer years ago, it didn't work out in the end. Every time I needed it, it was broken, and I had to fix it before I used it. after the other partner broke it in half twice overloading it, I sold my half.

That trailer had a steel deck, the one I have now has a wood deck. I prefer the wood. I built both trailers.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

Beck

A buddy has a half ton Silverado SS. It has the full time 4x4. It has really impressed me pulling his big boat. Maybe it is the truck, maybe it is the trailer/boat. But it works.
Same buddy had a older 3/4 ton Suburban converted to a dually. He did the conversion because it wouldn't pull his enclosed car trailer safely. It still wouldn't do the job after the conversion. The car in the trailer was a '63 Impala 409. The trailer and the Suburban were sold shortly later. It could have just been poor load balance in the trailer.

jaybee

Balance is huge when trailering. A few years ago I pulled a Bobcat with a 3/4 ton GMC. Going one way the skid loader was on the trailer with bucket to the front. It just didn't have enough tongue weight and above 50mph suddenly started doing tank slappers. Backed out of it slooooowly and rode it out until it settled down. Heading back I insisted the machine be backed onto the trailer to increase the tongue weight. it rode just fine then.
Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength. Eric Hoffer  (1902 - 1983)

phat rat

My trailers and towers. The grey blue dually is the current hauler. The top picture is my 24' the other is the 34'. The tan and cream dually has a 489 BBC, the red 2500HD had a 496" and the newer dually is a diesel
Some days it\'s not worth chewing through the restraints.