Studebaker trucks

Started by enjenjo, January 22, 2014, 12:11:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

enjenjo

I have a 60 Studebaker truck I bought originally in 1970. I cut the chassis up many years ago, modifying it for a Volare front suspension, and then later for four wheel drive. My grandson would like to build it, but the frame neds a ton of restoration. I visited a friend of my daughter in law's that has a bunch of Stude truck parts, including a nice Stude truck frame, and a nice Stude stepside bed. Now I have to figure how to get them from Nevada to Ohio.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

phat46

You could always rent a U Haul trailer...if you're driving something with a hitch.

GPster

Is it just a frame or rolling chassis. If it's a rolling chassis take the front suspension off the chassis and throw it in the bed mounted to the chassis. The build a hitch off the front of the chassis and tow it like a "self constructed" trailer. I can't believe that's all you've found out there. You should find something big enough to tow a trailer with the chassis/bed and your wife's new car (I figure that's what you drove out in). Talk with       WZ Junk. If the guys with the "Flat Cad" are at the show and have room on their trailer and they could get it as to Oklahoma. Then maybe someone (Hollie sp.?) would be coming to Ohio to run the ECTA this summer. GPster

UGLY OLDS

Gee  Frank .... I've never seen a simple thing like logistics' slow you down in the past .... :?  :roll:  :lol:

Be careful going across the south end of the lake ...The weather is pretty    yucky.....: :shock:

Bob..... :wink:
1940 Oldsmobile- The "Ugly Olds"
1931 Ford sedan- Retirement project

***** First Member of Team Smart*****

enjenjo

I did find a boat with a tandem axle trailer out here for $400 :D  :D  :D  :D
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

jaybee

I love those old Stude pickups. They always remind me of the first time I became aware of them. There was a guy in SW Iowa who did very, very well at tractor/truck pulls with a blue F250 that had a Snoopy dog house covering the bed. From one year to the next he rebuilt it with a Stude body. It was gorgeous, British Racing Green or thereabouts with walnut-colored sideboards, and continued to be just as successful on the pulling tracks.
Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength. Eric Hoffer  (1902 - 1983)

Crosley.In.AZ

Quote from: "enjenjo"I did find a boat with a tandem axle trailer out here for $400 :D  :D  :D  :D

Very fitting , another Studie
Tony

Plutophobia (Fear of money)

Beck

Frank, I know the feeling. Within the last couple of weeks I have found trucks in FL and LA, and a tractor in NE that I wanted. All are too big for my towing capacity. By the time I add the transport expense to the purchase price none made financial sense.

We need a member making north to south and east to west hauls that has an unlimited supply of fuel and time.

phat rat

Quote from: "Beck"Frank, I know the feeling. Within the last couple of weeks I have found trucks in FL and LA, and a tractor in NE that I wanted. All are too big for my towing capacity. By the time I add the transport expense to the purchase price none made financial sense.

We need a member making north to south and east to west hauls that has an unlimited supply of fuel and time.

It boils down to what do you feel is a fair price per loaded mi for hauling. Just out of curiosity what's the capacity of your trailer?
Some days it\'s not worth chewing through the restraints.

Beck

Quote from: "phat rat"
Quote from: "Beck"Frank, I know the feeling. Within the last couple of weeks I have found trucks in FL and LA, and a tractor in NE that I wanted. All are too big for my towing capacity. By the time I add the transport expense to the purchase price none made financial sense.

It boils down to what do you feel is a fair price per loaded mi for hauling. Just out of curiosity what's the capacity of your trailer?

My 2000 Silverado half ton coupled to my car hauler isn't happy with anything larger than a street rod. Years ago I pulled a 20 ft enclosed with a 33 highboy in it for several trips. I had to have load levelers and a sway control bar for that. I don't use those for my open trailer.

I attempted to pull an empty 24 ft enclosed without the load levelers and sway control. I knew immediately that was not going to work.

With my open trailer, I pulled a scrap step van chassis to the shredder which was pretty long. It was just the frame and suspension. The weight was too far back on the trailer. Anything over 40 mph was dangerous.

The trucks I was interested in down south were sold. The tractors will be sold shortly. One of the trucks was an International 4700 crew cab. I was hoping to copy one of the CXT trucks by adding a Super Duty dually bed. That would have become my tow vehicle. The tractor is a 656 International. I have the tractor pulling fever again. The 656 would get a small block if I owned it.

I understand the transport guys have to make a living and I don't have a problem with there rates. Once I add those expenses to the cost of the vehicle it just isn't worth it. If I lived local to those sales it would have been a decent buy. The final buyers may have been right next door.

phat rat

That International would have sure made a puller. I understand about the cost of shipping, it can really add up. Why do you not use the weight bars on your open trailer?

Beck

Quote from: "phat rat"That International would have sure made a puller. I understand about the cost of shipping, it can really add up. Why do you not use the weight bars on your open trailer?
The weight bars are designed for a square tube frame. My open trailer is made with heavy angle. I could fab up something to make it work, but have not. A buddy and I own the trailer jointly so I don't want to start making mods to it. I like to keep the electric brakes in top shape. He prefers not to use them so he doesn't much care about them. That lets me with the maintainance on those on the rarity I use it. It was a nice trailer but years of outside storage have taken a toll.

phat rat

Yes co-owning can lead to problems. I have my own car haulers, a 24' and a 34'. So if something doesn't work I have only myself to blame

Crosley.In.AZ

Quote from: "phat rat"Yes co-owning can lead to problems. I have my own car haulers, a 24' and a 34'. So if something doesn't work I have only myself to blame

Yep , co-owning : does not always work well.  Been there, 30 yrs ago. Still remember the BS from it.

i've owned 2000 & 2006 chevy 1500 trucks. Both needed air bag suppliment supports on rear leaf springs to haul-tow much of any size trailer.  My car trailer is a aluminum Featherlite open trailer
Tony

Plutophobia (Fear of money)

Beck

My trailer co-owning is actually working pretty well. I don't have room to store the trailer. The other half-owner has the room. He uses it more than I do, but that is fine with me. If I were not a partner on this one I wouldn't own one and would have to rent, beg, or borrow one. I have done some brake and bearing work, but he put on a set of tires. He wanted a winch so he installed one, but it is a POS. The biggest problem is he is 14 miles away. It was a nice trailer when new with a full metal deck and beaver tail. It now needs paint badly. The title is in my name. When I decide the co-owning is not working out or the trailer is too rough for me I will just sign the title over to him. I think the new cost was $1500 which kind of dates the purchase. We have the agreement that it doesn't get loaned out. If someone is a good enough friend to borrow it we will pull it for them. That saves a lot of damage.