O.T. Going to China!

Started by phat46, January 12, 2014, 07:33:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

phat46

Quote from: "UGLY OLDS"
Quote from: "phat46"
Quote from: "purplepickup"Careful what you eat over there.  I just googled "chinese eat" images.... :shock:

LOL, I don't want to know. I'll be going with a guy that's been there five times. I'm hoping there's a KFC.

Ya think he knows where to get decent American take-out :?:  :idea:

Bob..... :wink:

I was reading reviews for the hotel we will be staying in and one reviewer said there was an American style mall within walking distance with all the usual fast food......whew. I actually don't like Chinese food much.

Crosley.In.AZ

Hope all goes well for you. I dont travel outside the USA
Tony

Plutophobia (Fear of money)

jaybee

Over there I think they just call it "food."  :)
Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength. Eric Hoffer  (1902 - 1983)

papastoyss

My son once had a job delivering meat to restaurants, He said "if you ever went into a kitchen in a Chinese restaurant you'd never eat at another one"
grandchildren are your reward for not killing your teenagers!

phat46

Quote from: "papastoyss"My son once had a job delivering meat to restaurants, He said "if you ever went into a kitchen in a Chinese restaurant you'd never eat at another one"

That's one of the reasons I don't care for Chinese food. My wife and daughters love it and I always tell them I can't eat anything I can't identify! I'm sure I will try some authentic Chinese fare over there, it's probably completely different than American Chinese.

rooster

I never seen a Pizza here look like this! :shock:

purplepickup

Joe, sorry I sort of hijacked your thread with the food thing and it went a little viral. :wink:  I just got back from a Chinese buffet and didn't see anything wiggling.

I know your trip will be very interesting with the differences in culture and the historical and natural sights. What an opportunity! I would be nice if you have some time to explore the region you're in.  What area is your plant in?
George

chimp koose

not sure how tall you are but from what I hear you might want to practice ducking in doorways now before you get there.

BFS57

Hello;
My advise! Just go and make that $$$ !!! This is the time you can't feel anything twords your old job, You are now gonna be a "Consultant" and you know how much$$ they make!
There's American food there, Mc Donalds, KFC, You name it but the chinese versions of these have mostly fried chicken with rice, lots of rice!

Bruce

phat46

George, no problem, seems everyone, including me, is having fun with it.
The plant is in Suzhou a small town of only 2,000,000, two hours from Shanghei. It's known as the Venice of China and was once the top tourist city in China. It is also known for many spectacular gardens. The old town area is walking distance from the hotel. As for height, I'm 6'1" so I'm sure I'll be ducking some. Still haven't gotten the proposal from the company yet, but like my daughter the engineers says, ask for the moon!

Rochie

Phat46,
closest I've come to China was the Phillipines for a month, through the college I worked for.
It will be an adventure for certain! At 6'1" you WILL be seen.  I'm 6'2" and couldn't hide anywhere. You will probably find some local food that you will like, but some of the stuff will be disgusting.  They tried to get me to try fried pig brain, still in the bucket, but i declined.  They also said the fish soup was wonderful, but when it  hit the table in front of me and eyeballs were staring back at me I damned near barfed.  The people I met were tremendous. Even the local retailers tried to help in what little english they knew.  I mean would've thought to buy your beer in the local shoe store. The trip home was torture. We flew Manilla to Osaka, and Osaka to Detroit non stop. Somewhere over northern Ontario I coulda killed something!!
Make sure you enjoy yourself while you are there...you will get homesick at about 18 to 20 days in...How long are you there?
Anyway have a great trip,
Wayne

wayne petty

i worry about a bunch of things...

but i am lost to what the company you are going for makes.

there is a significant issue with low wages and long hours.. sometimes.. depending on the industry.. almost captive employees..

i got ask to go over and teach auto mechanics about 20 years ago.. i passed up.. they had offered a cot in the  back room of the repair shop..  no thank you.. but that was me..

are you going to be training employees???

are you going to work with management..

i would think that setting up some DVDs or big flash drives or a solid state hard drive..

one has to have employees that understand the reason to do it THIS Way..  not that way...  they understand honor.. and creating inferior products is not as honorable as creating an excellent product..

there is a lot of metalurgy that needs to be improved in some products.. converting from cast parts to forged parts.. depending on the parts.. preventing hydrogen embrittlement  by proper heat treating thats process ended just before the chroming process starts..  but still i don't know what the product is.. and i probably don't need to know..

if you want to do it as a private message..  that would be ok..

as for food... hmm...

there is lots of rice there...  find out if they have lentils .. 25% lentils to 75% rice.. usually brown rice. a little onion and a few chunks of decent pork tossed in will make a very tasty and filling meal..

if there is any bacon.. and eggs. you can make breakfast fried rice.. chop and fry bacon..  remove from wok.. scramble eggs.. toss bacon back in.. toss cooked rice on and stir ..  be careful .. you might start a riot when they get a whiff of that..

i prefer chun king soy sauce.. its totally different flavored than kikoman.  some people call it mur.. its known as the cheep stuff.. i like it better.  and not very much of it..

you might want to contact.. someplace like omaha steaks.. see if they can ship you some once in a while..  ups and fedex are fairly good at crossing the world.. will it make it thru customs over there.. ???

phat46

Wayne, the company I going for makes steel rule cutting dies for the auto industry. The equiptmrnt and materials are the same as we used here before i was bought out and retired. In some cases it is the SAME equiptment, we shipped some of ours over there.
I will be working with employees and management, the problem is mostly with managenent or lack of. We have to identify and correct production flow problems and set up a system to avoid bottle necks and reverse flow. I am supposed to be there three weeks but I feel we can get things going in two weeks. We are requiring full time interpreters, without them we would just be wasting time and money.
I went to the shop yesterday to get reimburst for my passport fees and talked to people who had been there. They said the hotel has a dining room that has western food. The hotel is a four star hotel, so no cot in the backroom here! :-)

oj

It sounds like a great oppertunity, kinda sobering to consult efficiency to the Chinese.
My sister was over there and sent pictures of the hotels with signs in english hanging out in the front 'Free Sex' and when you checked in you were offered a partner, boy/girl/man/women you chose.  I guess they didn't have midgets.
I imagine you'll be in a professional westernized hotel and the local culture will be there if you look for it and you'll have a ball.
Have some fun and show them pictures of an American HotRod!

parklane

Does that mean you can find a Golden Corral??
Any idea how long you're gone for?
If a blind person wears sunglasses, why doesn\'t a deaf person wear earmuffs??