Jeepster

Started by GPster, January 07, 2014, 03:32:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GPster

I bring this problem to this group of people that has more experience than me. I put the doors back on the Jeepster so that I could start fitting the cowl on the S15 frame change so that the doors would open and close and the body lines would match. On the old frame and previously on this newer frame the body had been so "slump-backed" that I didn't realize (or had forgotten) that one of the door latches didn't work. Having found that out I removed it and found the springs broken. I started looking for replacement springs and that failed. Then I looked for replacement latches and only found them at one place. They are available but of course they are different for left or right. My being a cheapskate they are more expensive than I would want to spend for just two little broken springs. Because the Jeepster was only a three year offering, because it came from a low volume manufacturer and because it is actually a phaeton/touring car rather than a convertible these latches may not be of Willys manufacture. Looking at car door latch springs images on the computer the broken pieces don't look that odd. I looked on the body of the latch and found no manufacturer's stamping. I haven't yet gotten the latch off the other door to see what the un-broken springs look like but any ideas of automotive door latch suppliers of the late '40s might help me narrow this down some. Without Wayne answering a question I thought there was a lack of reading (I enjoy your information, Wayne) so any information would be appreciated.           GPster (my spelling)

enjenjo

Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

wayne petty

http://www.centuryspring.com/

this one is in los angeles..

they also have spring stock..  so you can bend your own...

if you can contact them.  they have a significant amount of stuff as i understand.. that may not be cataloged..

if you have all the parts.. or feel like sending them the latch .. they will probably find something or make something that does..   they are very nice people there. i have talked to them a few times and sent people there a bunch of times..

or..

use some low temp silver solder.  there is one that melts around 380F.. i use it on eyeglasses  really strong..  solder the pieces back together.  i don't know if you have wire wound or flat..

even crazy glue will hold them long enough for a photograph.. over graph paper in several directions.. so they can be compared...

GPster

Well, the hunt goes on. I got the latch off the other side and discovered two different springs. One looked like the first example and the other was entirely different. The one that was different matched the one that wasn't broke in the other latch and that style of spring wasn't working in either latch. Got the two odd springs to compare them and saw that  that one spring had been straightened some and repaired with silver solder. Then the other odd spring had been straightened to match it. So I've got one spring I can match, two springs that don't look like anything but match each other and the forth spring is missing entirely. The Jeepster doors don't share anything with the truck or station wagon doors. The stationary ends of the springs each spring mounts different in the latch so I think I'm going to get that set of four springs with the "U" fasteners and see if I can make something work. I don't think making a tracing of the springs will do me any good because two of the examples that I have are obviously "doctored" and they don't do anything. I'll sneak up on the correction of this problem and keep in mind that I can buy replacement latches for $45.00 a piece. I can always weld the doors closed, not re-cover the top and get into the car in the "Cookie" style of gymnastics. GPster

wayne petty

pictures???

latch and the broken or old springs..

measurements..

which way does what ever need to turn??

i am only 7 miles from century spring..

i can take your photos.. and measurements and perhaps find something in their back room of over 10,000 spring shapes..

GPster

Quote from: "wayne petty"pictures???

latch and the broken or old springs..

measurements..

which way does what ever need to turn??

i am only 7 miles from century spring..

i can take your photos.. and measurements and perhaps find something in their back room of over 10,000 spring shapes..
Thanks, but the order was made last night. It also caught my eye because the "U" shaped clips have already been straightened/bent more than once and by luck would have one break while using it to install on new spring. While I'm waiting I can look for more problems. In October I have owned this thing 20 years. If I work on any item too long I get disgusted. GPster