lost 3rd and 4th in a Ford truck 5 speed

Started by junkyardjeff, December 31, 2013, 09:33:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

junkyardjeff

Have a 95 F150 that I lost third and fourth gears today but have every other gear,the truck is very rusty and even has frame rust but was wanting to get one more winter out of it before its scrapped. I never had a newer 5 speed apart so could it be something simple or is the 250,000 mile trans trans toast,the truck is not worth putting a trans in and do have a nice Geo tracker that came from Florida I got for free to drive this winter until I find another truck.

chimp koose

I wonder if it isnt a problem with the shift linkage.If you had no prior issues and suddenly lose 2 gears on the same throw of the shifter that might be your cheap fix.

junkyardjeff

I am prepping it for scrap and not going to mess with it,the frame is just too rusty to trust for anything other then in town driving and if I take it apart and it cant be easily fixed and can not put back togather I wont be able to drive it to the junkyard. I paid 800 for it and drove it 3 years and can get around 500 scrapping it so I got my moneys worth and will look for another truck later.

chimp koose

most of my favourite trucks were bought for $600 or less.

junkyardjeff

I am thinking about selling my Harley since I can not ride for long distances and a couple vehicles and buying a 2 year old truck,I need a good daily driver.

tomslik

stay away from triton fords unless the plugs have been changed recently by somebody that knows what they're doing....I don't deal with diesels so somebody else will have to chime in on those altho I like the way duramax's run but I'm kinda a gm man anyway
The last thing I want to do is hurt you. But it\'s still on my list

UGLY OLDS

Quote from: "tomslik"stay away from triton fords unless the plugs have been changed recently by somebody that knows what they're doing....I don't deal with diesels so somebody else will have to chime in on those altho I like the way duramax's run but I'm kinda a gm man anyway

I would avoid anything that has Ford & diesel in the same sentence ..Unless it's a well cared for 7.3 .....Duramax's seem to be LOTS better if you keep them maintained ..... DONT wait for the fuel filter "indicator" to change the fuel filter ...Change the oil every 5K & the fuel filter every 10K ..Service the cooling system every 50K to protect the EGR coolers ..... They will run a  LOOOONNNGGG time .....

Bob..... :wink:
1940 Oldsmobile- The "Ugly Olds"
1931 Ford sedan- Retirement project

***** First Member of Team Smart*****

junkyardjeff

I will be looking into a 1/2 ton and no diesels.