T5 transmissions

Started by enjenjo, December 11, 2013, 11:36:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

enjenjo

I have gathered quite a variety in the last few weeks. I found two more out in the barn that are not pictured. Most of them a WC T5s, a couple NWC T5s, two NWC T4s, and a SR4. The SR4 is pretty much useless, but the bell housing will fit a Ford T5 to a Chevy engine. It's out of a Hornet.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

48ford

Quote from: "enjenjo"I have gathered quite a variety in the last few weeks. I found two more out in the barn that are not pictured. Most of them a WC T5s, a couple NWC T5s, two NWC T4s, and a SR4. The SR4 is pretty much useless, but the bell housing will fit a Ford T5 to a Chevy engine. It's out of a Hornet.

Mac

Do you have any S10 tail housings with mechanical speedo drive?
Who\'s yer Data?

enjenjo

Quote from: "Mac"Do you have any S10 tail housings with mechanical speedo drive?

No, the S10 tail housings I have are for electronic speedo.

jaybee

Would that bellhousing adapt a T5 to a 5.3L V8?
Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength. Eric Hoffer  (1902 - 1983)

enjenjo

Yes. It is deeper than an older chevy bell housing, and accommodates the later long input shaft on the T5 without a spacer. AMC used it from 80 to 62 on the 2.5 four cylinder from Gm. Hornet, Jeep, Concord, Spirit, all used it. It can also be redrilled for the Chevy T5 bolt pattern.

jaybee

Good to know. I'm sort of thinking of a 5.3/T5 combo. The LS guys will tell you a T5 won't live, but I don't plan on drag racing, and the Fox-body Mustang guys ran them with hot motors for a lot of years.

A good T5 is a fraction the price of a T56, but getting the rest of the setup without spending a bundle on specialized parts would be the key.

kb426

Jaybee, when I was doing research about what trans I was going to use, I was asked how much power would I have from every dealer. When I said, less than 300, they all said you'll be fine. In looking for a trans, you will note that there are many people that do nothing but rebuild t5's. While I was looking on ebay, I ran across an auction for a rebuilder in OKC. I called the number and instead of getting a salesman, I got the kid in the back. I asked what his job was. He said all he did was rebuild t5's. I asked what was wrong with them. he said almost everyone had 3rd gear out of it. I asked what causes that? He replied, 1 good powershift. That's when I decided to buy a 3550. I bought a 3650 for the F1 I'm building. Hanlon now makes adapters to put that behind most engines. There are several choices if you aren't satisfied with the t5.
TEAM SMART

enjenjo

A few things to remember about a T5. The lower numerically first gear is, the higher the torque rating. The torque rating on a 2.93 first gear WC trans (rare) is highest at about 350 ft lb. The 4.03 first gear WC trans has a 260 ft lb rating. Typically the  low torque rated trans will tear the teeth off the input shaft gear, and the front gear on the cluster, Reverse will withstand no abuse,if it wheel hops twice you will blow the reverse idler, and likely second gear on the cluster. NWC trans have brass synchronizer rings, they are weak. WC trans have steel synchronizer rings, lined with carbon fiber, better. Late WC trans have two piece steel sybchronizer rings lined in and out with carbon fiber, best.  A blown third gear comes from too much clearance on the  input/output shaft bearings, they have to be set tight, a couple thousandths +  preload is best. On the WC trans, the countershaft has tapered roller bearings with endplay controlled by a tin retainer. The tin distorts, the bearings get loose, the countershaft drops down, and the gears break. They make a billet retainer in both aluminum, and steel, I prefer the steel. Preload the cluster gear bearings too.

Very few internal parts interchange from NWC to WC, but shifters, tail housings and most other external parts interchange.

jaybee

hmmm, with such an extensive list of known issues perhaps a T5 is false economy.

enjenjo

Finished up a T5 for a Chevy today, and started on one for a Mustang. I have three to so for Mustangs now.