'57 Ford steering

Started by ragdol, August 30, 2004, 10:31:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ragdol

To have R&P steering I would have to engineer it myself as no one makes a kit that I'm aware of. The next best thing is a "modern" steering box. Question is, what steering box works well in a '57 Fairlane using the original linkage?

enjenjo

Look at one out of a 70's Granada, or Maverick. The only problem I see may be room for shift linkage with a column shift. I think the pitman shaft spline is the same, but no guarantee.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

32tom

Quote from: "ragdol"To have R&P steering I would have to engineer it myself as no one makes a kit that I'm aware of. The next best thing is a "modern" steering box. Question is, what steering box works well in a '57 Fairlane using the original linkage?

I spoke with a guy that used a Taurus rack and pinnion on his 57. It fit beautifully with simple brackets off of the front cross member. 2 u joints connect it to the original shaft at the fire wall. It looked good and he loved it. The hardest part would be a bearing to keep the shaft centered in the cut off steering tube. Food for thought.
Too dumb to know any better and too old to care.

ragdol

Thanks for the replies. I'll check out the Granada, I've got a Monarch out back. 32, I used a Taurus rack on a '55 that turned out pretty good, but this guy doesn't want to spend the money for the time it would take to get it  right.

rovic

Quote from: "ragdol"Thanks for the replies. I'll check out the Granada, I've got a Monarch out back. 32, I used a Taurus rack on a '55 that turned out pretty good, but this guy doesn't want to spend the money for the time it woul  d take to get it  right.
Ragdol check www.worthitdesigns.com He has a kit and uses a GM r&p

ragdol

Couldn't access worthitdesigns.com. Is that url correct?

rovic

Quote from: "ragdol"Couldn't access worthitdesigns.com. Is that url correct?
Sorry should be www.wurthitdesigns.com also check out www.1957Ford international.com , he is a regular on the forum and has pictures there.