Space requirement for exhaust

Started by jaybee, October 22, 2013, 09:07:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jaybee

How much width would you allow for 2 1/2" exhaust pipes running down each side of a 4L80E or T56 transmission?
Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength. Eric Hoffer  (1902 - 1983)

wayne petty

don't really have a clue. on how much in a measurement.. i would like several inches..

i was just going to comment.. that if you can measure the outside diameter of the pipe... you might be able to get an reducer fitting that the small end ID is the same as the OD of the main pipe..

you can cut that into 1/3rds  and get a piece of exhaust pipe of the large size of the reducer...

you can weld these pieces together to make a heat shield..

heat shield
___----------------------------------------____
----------------------------------------------------------------
exhaust pipe...

i used to have a muffler shop that would use their pipe shrinker attachments to compress the ends of the tube sections so i could use  conventional muffler U bolts after i cut the section out i wanted..

it was the end of hot floors and roasted toes on several customers cars..

jaybee

True, if you look under a late model where clearances are very tight they use heat shield very extensively around the exhaust.

Does anyone know how wide a T56 or 4L80E would be? I can find lengths on almost any transmission with breakdowns on bellhousing, case, and overall lengths, but so far i haven't found anything on widths or heights.

papastoyss

My 4l80e measures 14 1/2" wide thru the pan & 19 1/2 wide thru the widest part of bellhousing where it bolts to the engine. My '57 Chevy frame is 32 1/4" inside at the floor support behind the tunnel &26 1/2" wide at the base of the firewall. I whacked off the rear bellhousing mounts from the frame since they were no longer needed, this made what would be a tight spot much more open.
grandchildren are your reward for not killing your teenagers!

jaybee

Thanks papastoyss, just what I was looking for.