My latest adventure

Started by enjenjo, August 06, 2013, 11:34:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

enjenjo

You are told to not use radial tires too long because of the risk of catastrophic failure. I did it again. Running 70 mph in the left of 4 lanes near Cincinnati,I blew the right front tire. It flew off the rim and across four lanes if traffic landing on the berm.

For some reason the lug wrench was missing from the kit, so I had to join AAA plus pay $75 extra for same day service to have them come out. The spare was the tire that was the spare when I bought the car in 1989, I calculate it's at least 40 years old. I stopped at Walmart to get a replacement tire at 550 pm, they told me it was too close to closing to install the tire, so they sent me up the road to another Walmart "that is open to 7pm", except when I got there, they closed at 6 too. They told me normally they sold right to 6, and stayed as much time as needed to complete the job. Apparently the guy at the first store was in a hurry to leave.

So I reduced the speed to 50, and drove the 200 miles to Swanton with no further drama.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

phat rat

That red wheel would be right in style for some. Looks like no damage was done to the body
Some days it\'s not worth chewing through the restraints.

Digger

Lucky you made it here to talk about it. That could have been nasty! :b-d:
Just when you think you are winning the Rat Race, along come faster rats!

Digger

That's what you get for sliding around all those corners! Glad both you and the pink fish are OK!
"The one who dies with the most friends wins"

chimp koose

glad you are OK. That could have been bad.

rumrumm

On M/T website, it states that 10 years is maximum for a passenger car tire. I guess I  should replace the fronts on the '32. Seems a shame with on 11,000 miles on them. Better safe than sorry,  I guess.
Lynn
'32 3W

I write novels, too. https://lsjohanson.com

sirstude

I have a friend here with a car collection (50 or so Fords) and he is popping tires left and right.  He drives every car at least a week a year so does use them.  I think he said 4 this year so far.  I keep trying to get him to buy a couple of sets of wheels and tires and just rotate then between cars, but they all have to be the correct wheels for the car to keep him happy.

Doug
1965 Impala SS  502
1941 Olds

Watcher of #974 1953 Studebaker Bonneville pas record holder B/BGCC 249.945 MPH.  He sure is FAST

www.theicebreaker.us

enjenjo

Well, the tire that blew had less than 10,000 miles on it, no cracks, and looked like new.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

Arnold

Quote from: "enjenjo"You are told to not use radial tires too long because of the risk of catastrophic failure. I did it again. Running 70 mph in the left of 4 lanes near Cincinnati,I blew the right front tire. It flew off the rim and across four lanes if traffic landing on the berm.

For some reason the lug wrench was missing from the kit, so I had to join AAA plus pay $75 extra for same day service to have them come out. The spare was the tire that was the spare when I bought the car in 1989, I calculate it's at least 40 years old. I stopped at Walmart to get a replacement tire at 550 pm, they told me it was too close to closing to install the tire, so they sent me up the road to another Walmart "that is open to 7pm", except when I got there, they closed at 6 too. They told me normally they sold right to 6, and stayed as much time as needed to complete the job. Apparently the guy at the first store was in a hurry to leave.

So I reduced the speed to 50, and drove the 200 miles to Swanton with no further drama.

Ur lucky.Years ago cars blew tires no big deal. Today..plenty of vehicles..you blow a tire..you are outta control..often rolling.

Arnold

Quote from: "rumrumm"On M/T website, it states that 10 years is maximum for a passenger car tire. I guess I  should replace the fronts on the '32. Seems a shame with on 11,000 miles on them. Better safe than sorry,  I guess.

They talk about a law outlawing tires more than 10 years old here coming. Nothing yet. I wonder if there have already been before the courts people blamed for tire blowing incidents with older tires.
 There have been enough incidents already that I guess it is coming..

kb426

Does anybody know why this happens?
TEAM SMART

bucketmouth

Crikey Frank that cold have been a lot worse than it was. So after you messed yourself I hope you had a change of pants to get home in haha
At this point I would like to thank you for saving the excitement for after you dropped me off.
Seriously though it could have Ben a lot worse,glad you handled it ok to get home safely.
I maybe from down under but I know which way is up.
Oh hell there goes another head rush.

Carnut

Oh gee, you guys are beginning to worry me about the 20 and 30 yr old tires on my cars. My bought new 02 PT Cruiser has the newest tires at 12yrs old.

jaybee

I believe it happens because steel wire doesn't bond well to rubber. If you remember the Firestone 500 recall from many moons ago that was all about treads, belts, and carcasses coming apart. Michelin used brass plated wire because the bond was better. Firestone used plain steel wire and ended up replacing hundreds of thousands of tires, fighting numerous lawsuits, and taking an enormous PR hit for cutting corners.
Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength. Eric Hoffer  (1902 - 1983)

39deluxe

I know the tires on my wife's Corvette are over 10 years old. It's hard to replace tires that look like new but it needs to happen.

Glad you came through undamaged.

Tom