Marlin Steering box

Started by enjenjo, July 19, 2013, 08:17:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

enjenjo

I have the adapter made for the Grand Cherokee box. Not much to it, it's 17mm thick, 1" wide, and 1 1/2" long with the end cut at an angle. One hole is drilled .453" and countersunk .500" .675" diameter for an allen bolt head. The other hole is tapped 7/16" by 14 for the adapter mounting bolt, while the original adapter had the threads drilled out on the matching hole. I still have three bolts mounting the box, just not the same three.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

enjenjo

While I was out there today, I happened to walk around the back of the car, and saw the paint lifted by the gas door. Apparently the heat forced some fuel out the filler neck, through the vent, and onto the fender, where it lifted the paint. now it has to go in to get repaired, hopefully before Lville.

kb426

TEAM SMART

enjenjo

I got the steering box in today, fit like a champ. I also replaced the idler arm bushing, and made a bracket for the new steering column.

This morning I drove over to Auburn In. for the AMO national meet. In the swap meet I found a vendor that had quarter window seals for the Marlin, new reproductions for 9.50 each. they are already installed, they fit perfectly. I have been looking for them since I bought the car 24 years ago.

39deluxe

Auburn has been fun the last few days. I've seen more AMC cars than I have in a long time. This morning when I went through there on my way to Indy I saw a gold American convertible with custom wheels. Really sharp looking.

As for Indy, that didn't turn out so well. We went down to do some laps in a Cup car at Lucas Raceway and arrived just 1/2 hour before the rain. So, if anyone asks, we went to Indy today for lunch. :roll:

Tom

348tripower

That paint thing happened to Reds forty shortly after it got painted. Base clear? Must not have cured enough?
I installed a Stewart pump in my lower radiator hose this week. This cured my engine heat problems when I stop and shut it off. I also shrouded the grille area into the radiator. I was able to use the original one by cutting it apart and being creative. It still bolts to the original grille fasteners. Had to add four little pieces and weld it up. This was not a really gotta do thing but I had the hood off. I am hoping the air conditioning and engine temps will be better at speed.
Wayne had a good point about blowing air all around and not directing it to the radiator.
I am ready for the trip to Lou a ville.
Frank,
I am leaving Tuesday AM. How bout you?
Don Colliau

enjenjo

I am leaving the morning of the 1st. My son and his family is visiting from Las Vegas, and I want to spend as much time with them as possible. They are following me to Lville the 2nd to visit an old school buddy.

I think the clear should be cured, it's 22 years old.I almost think it was some type of vapor, it does not go all the way down the fender, and there is no sign of leaking at the cap at this point. Alcohol vapor maybe?

papastoyss

My '40 coupe barfs gas back out the filler neck unless I fill verry sloowly. It has the Hagen filler door that has a small trap door in the gas cap. I usually grab the windshield washer stick & rinse off the affected area when I do spill gas.Earl Schieb would probably unfriend me if my fender looked like the Marlin!
grandchildren are your reward for not killing your teenagers!

enjenjo

So I made an appointment for tomorrow to get the paint fixed. I have to get it steerable to get it there, so I install and wire the column. I check all the turn signals,it all works fine...... except the stop lights. :cry:  I do the drill, power to the switch, okay, check the switch, it's okay, wiring from the switch to the column, that's okay, wire to the turn signal switch, power there too. It has to be a bad signal switch, the van tilt uses a different switch then everything else, it's special order and costs $100. About this time I am *, and a buddy and his wife stop by. I walk out to greet them, and while talking I notice the parking lights are on bright. :shock:  I go back to the car, I had left the ignition on, and I notice the turn indicators are on too. ??? It dawn on me, I have the brake lights wired through the front lights, and not the rear :oops: Move a couple wires and all is right. Sometimes you can't see the forest for the trees.

So I changed the oil and filter, lubed the front end, and took it off the jacks to take it to the body shop.The new steering box is three turns lock to lock, rather than the five turns it was before.

papastoyss

Wonder what's different about the van column t/s switch? I replaced the t/s switch in a '69 Chevy truck that had a column that looked just like the van column I use in all my rods. Key in dash,not on column.I got the switch from O'Reillys,I think it was less than $25.These 70s van columns are getting scarce in the junkyards, I've only a few laid back for future projects.
grandchildren are your reward for not killing your teenagers!

Mac

Quote from: "enjenjo"The new steering box is three turns lock to lock, rather than the five turns it was before.

Do you expect the steering to be a bit "twitchy" now?
Who\'s yer Data?

enjenjo

Quote from: "Mac"
Quote from: "enjenjo"The new steering box is three turns lock to lock, rather than the five turns it was before.

Do you expect the steering to be a bit "twitchy" now?

It's not. I have drove it about 25 miles, feels like most any modern car as far as steering.