51 ford front end- need opinions.

Started by kb426, July 13, 2013, 05:48:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kb426

What are the choices for a front suspension on the 51 ford pickup? I want something better than a Mustang 2. Have you guys done something that works out well that isn't expensive?
TEAM SMART

bowtietillidie

How  about a Valarie ( early to mid 70's maybe, later maybe can't remember how many years they were around )  I put one under a 53 years ago as I remember it wasn't that hard......    Now for the hard part.    Finding one !!!!!!!!!
BOWTIETILLIDIE

river1

How a dakota pickup suspension?

http://www.industrialchassisinc.com/

He doesn't list a 51 but you can give Steve a call and see what he recommends.

Later jim
Most people have a higher than average number of legs.

chimp koose

x2 0n volare clip. just don't be scared to cut into the frame.I think there is a kit out there with templates for cutting the frame.If you still use a fordmotor it will not fit a flathead v8 after the swap (cant remember why, oil pan to torsion bars I think) and you will need an oil filter relocation with windsor motor unless you really offset the engine.I used a set of headers for a 69 mustang and they were nearly a bolt in,just had to angle the collectors.That was with a 351W.I swapped in a 9" and used a driveshaft from a 85 GMC half ton as it was just the right length.There is also a simple swap using a relatively newer crown vic clip but you need at least 16" rims to clear the brakes.When I was done with the 53 Merc I did this to I was tempted to buy it from the owner.Nice truck.

bowtietillidie

When I done my f100 there were no kits to make things easy. This is what I done .  I found the center line of the axle Then marked it on the frame . Then I used a piece of number nine wire pulled straight .  Next I measured up the Voltaire front end side to side then marked where the Ford frame would set . Next I used the Nine wire to make a template of the Voltaire frame where the Ford frame would set . Then I took the template  centered it with the axle center line Then raised it in the front as high as the frame will allow don't cut the top frame flange use the nine wire as a tracer on the frame cut your frame and raise the Voltaire K frame into the cut. Next measure every thing till the tape catches on FIRE . When you are satisfied all is square and right with the tape measuring gods . Tack it in place .  Now move to the back of the torsion bars and fab up your torsion bar anchors and adjustments   From My oldtimers memory That pretty much covers putting a Voltaire K member in early Ford Pick up  The only thing that I can think of that might be painful is finding a front Man that remembers how to line up a Plymouth Voltaire
BOWTIETILLIDIE

50 F1

I have a 72 monte carlo  frame clip on my 50 f1. It was a little wide but narrowed A arms fixed that. This was done before all the kits out there today.
If I was doing it again I would look into one of the frame clips Fat Man Fabrications sells but it is for a M2.

What about the crown vick set-up the Fast and Loud  guys keep putting in there trucks?

Mike

Ohio Blue Tip

Take a look at Scott's Hot Rod front ends.  Oxnard, CA, 805-485-0382.
I have one under my 52 Chevy truck, also a friend has one under a Ford truck, another under a Model A.
Scott's are priced about the same as all the Mustang type front suspensions, but is much superior.
Some people try to turn back their odometers
Not me, I want people to know "why" I look this way.
I\'ve traveled a long way and some of the
roads weren\'t paved.

Ken

phat46

Does the Crown Vic front end fit those early Fords? I think the Jag works under them also.

enjenjo

I have a friend with a 51 F1 on a Dakota frame. He is not the sharpest knife in the box, and it only took him a few weeks to get it done. He used a V8 Dakota, and managed to get it all together without moving the engine. I don't know which model it was, but the wheel base was even right. It was a late 80s, early 90s truck. The only down side is the 6 lug wheels. You can use the early front hubs for 5 lugs, and an explorer rear end for the same.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

Carnut

Digger

The Mopar susp. is almost a perfect fit under a 53-56 F100, not so under F1's the frame is narrower and shaped slightly different.
The Dakota frame sounds interesting, maybe even S10? Easiest would be someones aftermarket clip.
Good Luck.
Just when you think you are winning the Rat Race, along come faster rats!

Digger

papastoyss

Quote from: "enjenjo"I have a friend with a 51 F1 on a Dakota frame. He is not the sharpest knife in the box, and it only took him a few weeks to get it done. He used a V8 Dakota, and managed to get it all together without moving the engine. I don't know which model it was, but the wheel base was even right. It was a late 80s, early 90s truck. The only down side is the 6 lug wheels. You can use the early front hubs for 5 lugs, and an explorer rear end for the same.
My brother had a '92 or '93 Dakota  w/ the FI 318 & it would haul butt & got pretty decent gas mileage to boot.Not sure if it would be feasible for a average guy to figure out the wiring for the ECM, probably would need professional help.
grandchildren are your reward for not killing your teenagers!

kb426

I've done some research on your suggestions. I used to think the volare conversion would be really good. I didn't realize that you have to offset the engine 2" to the right to clear the steering gear. Finding a front end will be difficult now. The Scotts deal is neat but a little pricey. The crown vic deal looks good but it's tread in too wide. The early Dakota looks like a good fit. The Ford's wheelbase is 114". The 2 Dakotas are shorter or longer. I assume that it would be best to get the long one and shorten it. From what I read, the dakota is like a s10. The rear and front are sleeved together. It would involve cutting some welds to shorten it. In regards to the wiring, while I'm not an expert, I'm capable enough to adapt the dakota harness to the 51 to facilitate using the 318 efi setup. That's a brief overview. Am I missing something? The plan is to have a really good driving truck. Any of the modern efi v8's would be acceptable for this. To keep the initial cost down, finding a donor vehicle was part of the plan. The truck deal sounds good. So many of the front clips that have been used are really difficult to find in my area. The value of scrap iron has about put us out of the play toy business. I really appreciate the input. If I've overlooked anything, please tell me. Thank you.
TEAM SMART

river1

Just an FYI the dakota I mentioned above is a new crossmember similar to a mustang kit. The dakota Xmember is stronger and more suited to trucks.

later jim
Most people have a higher than average number of legs.

chimp koose

When I did the volare /351W swap I put the engine in on center. I made a remote oil filter adapter for it because the ones you buy have such offset feed holes that you run the risk of reducing oil volume to the engine. I know a guy from our local drag strip that lost a stroker  windsor motor for that reason.