KB...What is this "Flocoat" that you speak of  :?:  
Does it come in 5 gallon pails :?:  :idea:  :lol:
That MAY be the solution with the Ugly Olds .... :roll:

Bob.... :wink:
1940 Oldsmobile- The "Ugly Olds"
1931 Ford sedan- Retirement project

***** First Member of Team Smart*****

kb426

Bob, I think you are being facetious! It means you sand the clear and do it again. If you're lucky or good, it will be better and flat. I'm at the 2nd coat of clear on the fenders and haven't screwed up yet. There is some dirt in it but no big black bugs. The clear is supposed to have 15 minutes between coats. That is way too long for me. :) I'm strapped to the chair so I can wait. LOL.
TEAM SMART

kb426

Some dirt, no black bugs!
TEAM SMART

idrivejunk

I am truly happy for your success.  :)

White can be such a pain because bugs (and all the other things). I see plastic over everything, that had to help. Only thing you missed that I can see from here is...

You forgot to lay some flames down before that flow coat.  :D

That did mean lightly sanding out some debris and re-clearing, right?

Tweezers are a nutritious part of a painter's bag-o-trix, but my hand is rarely steady enough to pick bugs out of wet clear without scraping the base. A few times in frantic desperation, I have gently stuck my tiny pick  next to the bug where it can climb the tool. If they don't have a wing in it yet, theres a sportin' chance!  :lol:

I was looking back at the engine bay pic and having a flurry of thoughts and questions. People build fine custom intake pipes every day with items from home improvement stores. I'd start spouting ideas but could easily trip on them being a Pontiac guy mainly, but not knowing about MAF relocation stuff on those. You sure have a good opportunity to do something visually striking under the hood. When your mind comes back to the engine compartment, that will be interesting. 8)
Matt

kb426

Matt, I'll sand later in the week and then pick the best day weather wise to recoat. If they look like they will buff with very little work, that's what will happen. I have an idea for the intake but I have to do some research to see if it's a good idea or a disaster waiting to happen.
TEAM SMART

UGLY OLDS

Quote from: "kb426"Bob, I think you are being facetious! It means you sand the clear and do it again. If you're lucky or good, it will be better and flat. I'm at the 2nd coat of clear on the fenders and haven't screwed up yet. There is some dirt in it but no big black bugs. The clear is supposed to have 15 minutes between coats. That is way too long for me. :) I'm strapped to the chair so I can wait. LOL.

Gee.... :oops:     I thought that there was some magic elixir that I could put in my gun & make my lumpy paint all shiny & smooth again...  :roll:

I was even willing to apply 3 or more coats as needed ... Even go as far as using a new roller pad :idea:

I can't do the "color sand & buff" on the Olds as that will make the oopsie dents & the hood "whoopies" be that much more noticeable .... :(D)

Oh well......It was a thought .... :roll:

Bob.... :wink:
1940 Oldsmobile- The "Ugly Olds"
1931 Ford sedan- Retirement project

***** First Member of Team Smart*****

kb426

The hood isn't finished but close. Sanded and buffed. Little things left.
TEAM SMART

kb426

Stopping point on the hood until some more buffing compound arrives. I have 1 fender sanded with 600 before I quit. Lots more work to do. :)
TEAM SMART

kb426

Several years ago, I developed a problem. Every time I would take a friday off bad things would happen. So I quit taking fridays off. :) The last 2 months I've taken many fridays off. Some for car shows, some for work on the 51. Today has been a test. Old times returned. I started out setting up everything ready to put a coat of clear on and be done. For some reason, I forgot to paint the radiator splash shield that was hiding in the corner. I shot white on it and got started on clear. The small parts all looked fine. Both fenders got crap in them. I moved all the small parts to the storage shed and waited for the fenders to dry. I then sanded them and re-shot them. They have some orange peel. I didn't get them as good as I wanted. After they are outside in the sun, I'll make a decision on whether to buff or not.
TEAM SMART

kb426

This is the last part of the front end to be done. There were dents in the grille bars that I couldn't get to. I drilled out the spot welds and removed the real bad bar. I spent a fair amount of time with hammer and dolly to get the bar where a skim coat of plastic will fix it. I straightened the headlight holders where the grille bars attach and they're ready for the next step. On the back side of the grille bars, I'm going to weld in tabs in each end to bolt the assembly back together.
TEAM SMART

kb426

The tabs are welded on the rear of the grille bars. I used the drilled spot weld holes for line-up with clecos. There is a 1/4" and a 3/16" fastener per grille bar end. Back to really boring sanding and bondo work.
TEAM SMART

purplepickup

kb, just a couple of woo hoo's from this end of the peanut gallery. I don't post much but I've followed your build from the beginning and am constantly impressed. I just wish I had your level of ambition.  );b(
George

kb426

Thank you, George.
TEAM SMART

kb426

Grille parts moving along.
TEAM SMART

kb426

TEAM SMART