New stuff!

Started by kb426, June 29, 2013, 08:19:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kb426

I'll make a cardboard pattern and tape it on so we can see what it will look like. I took some more pics of lock to lock. The outer portion of the tire is outside of the fender at both points. I'll measure how much suspension travel there is and do some calcs. to see what the worse case is.
TEAM SMART

kb426

Those of you with a good sense of humor will enjoy this. The reason the headlights don't work is (insert drum roll) the mustang switch is defective.  Chalk up another one for the donor. I hope organ donors do better than this. :) I don't remember having to replace a light switch my whole life. I purchased the Ford EVM manual last week. It arrived today. I was unaware that there were separate manuals available. Had I known this was available, I would have purchased one early on in the wiring process. $24 is going to look like one of the best expenses on the project. I still have the front turn signals to make operational and all the original wiring will be complete.
TEAM SMART

kb426

self explanatory.
TEAM SMART

kb426

One of the pics is where I mounted the cruise control module. If anybody knows if this is a bad place, I'd like to hear about it. I put the hood on so I can drive it. The hood is warped and the hinges haven't been rebuilt yet so there is lots more work. I put about 5 miles on it this evening. My machine shop owner friend and I went for the ride. This goes around corners without body lean and it stops well. He's ridden in my 32. He said, this isn't as powerful but everything else is way different. :) Tomorrow, back to work.
TEAM SMART

348tripower

That truck is looking really good. I don't see a problem with the cruise control location. I put one in  my 48 F1 in about the same place.
Don Colliau

kb426

I worked all weekend but you can hardly tell it. :) Saturday I spent hours working on a 51 hood that I bought that came from a field. I welded up the cracks around the lower flange and the rear of it. Some of the hood hinge fasteners have froze up and ripped the fasteners loose from the support brackets. I will deal with that later. I relocated the air filter and inlet tube to alleviate  the space problems on the right side of the engine bay. I don't have the correct hose and elbows to finish it yet. I messed with front end alignment some. I'm going to make some tools as per a thread I found that looks like the answer for those of us without a good front end shop nearby. I've also been driving it. It's going to be fun. :)
TEAM SMART

kb426

I just came from the scales. The truck has a half tank of fuel. Here's the rest of what is missing:
running boards-42
running board supports-10
ac-heater-18
stereo ,amp, speakers-20
more sound deadener-14
Low e insulation-2
misc. bolts and wire-10
Finish interior with abs and rubber mat or dynadeck for the floor-?
The truck weighted 3080 lbs.
The known items-116 lbs.
total-3196 lbs.
I suppose that a person could add another 100 lbs with finishing the interior and paint. I'm also guessing the rust thats left in the fenders is an equivalent to good metal. :) It's 300 lbs. lighter than my original estimate. :)
TEAM SMART

kb426

Don't read this with a mouth full of anything. :) I was working on tailpipe hangers with the truck jacked up on all corners. I walk by the right side and the light is just right to notice that the right valve cover has a nice crack in it. The salvage yard's warranty doesn't cover valve covers or intake manifolds. I have a tube of Evercoat plastic epoxy that I bought several years ago to repair a plastic bumper that had been backed into by a hit and run driver. I know this is out of it's expected life span but I cleaned, sanded, cleaned and sanded some more on the valve cover and mixed up the epoxy and put it on. It got hot and appears to be adhering. It's ugly as you can imagine but after driving this for a while, if it has sealed properly, I will sand it down and paint it to match the flat black valve cover. I thought I was done with surprises. :)
TEAM SMART

UGLY OLDS

That settles it ... The only vanity plate that will be acceptable on your truck is "SUPRISE" or "ADVENTURE".... :lol:  :lol:  8)

Its looking good ....At least you're finding all these "hiccups" NOW rather than later ..... :lol:  

Bob..... :wink:
1940 Oldsmobile- The "Ugly Olds"
1931 Ford sedan- Retirement project

***** First Member of Team Smart*****

kb426

Taking a break. I installed tail pipe hangers today. The bracket is nutserted into the crossmember for a 3/8" bolt and the rod is welded to the pipe. I didn't set the fuel tank on fire. :) I have the ac lines finished and the heater hoses run but not connected to the engine. All this has to come back out to allow the installation of sound deadener and insulation on the firewall. I installed sound deadener in the doors today also.
TEAM SMART

jaybee

You're making great progress on eating that elephant one bite at a time.
Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength. Eric Hoffer  (1902 - 1983)

kb426

Today I made one more seat bracket. I shot some paint on all of them. I spent hours installing sound deadener on the floor and firewall. The next item is insulation on the firewall and the wiring back in place for the last time. I ran out of energy before getting that done.
TEAM SMART

kb426

I put insulation on the firewall, back of the cab and under the seats. I ran out of material, again. :) The firewall is patchwork appearing. It has 2 layers on most of it. I can't install a large area by myself around objects before the contact glue takes a set. I can now install the wiring, ac-heater and the rest of the dash items for what should be the last last time. :)
TEAM SMART

kb426

Making a little more progress.
TEAM SMART

enjenjo

What type of contact cement are you using? I use a Permatex areosol cement, it is a bit more forgiving, you can reposition the padding if it hits the metal wrong. And it set up slow enough to take your time.

I bought some sponge rubber from a guy a couple miles away a few years ago, it was in two by four pieces. It works good on firewalls. I still have a couple pieces left.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.