New stuff!

Started by kb426, June 29, 2013, 08:19:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kb426

This pic shows the panels I bought for the bed floor just laid out to see how it would work. I think I will coat them with bedliner. I wasn't having any success finding a bed floor anywhere that wasn't damaged or inexpensive.
TEAM SMART

kb426

I spent most of the day working on the rear fenders. One faintly resembles a useable fender.
TEAM SMART

UGLY OLDS

Quote from: "kb426"I spent most of the day working on the rear fenders. One faintly resembles a useable fender.

The bed floor looks like it will work fine ... :idea:   Why cover it with bed liner  :?:  It looks good as it is ..work on maybe hiding  the seam in the middle &  paint it a contrasting color to the body ...  :?:  

Don't worry about your fender " adventure" ... I'm prepared  with
my Model A front fenders ...I have 7 chances to make 2 .... :roll:  

Bob.... :wink:
1940 Oldsmobile- The "Ugly Olds"
1931 Ford sedan- Retirement project

***** First Member of Team Smart*****

kb426

The fenders are bolted to the box but not finished. The area that meets the running boards still needs repaired. New steel rear fenders are $1300 a pair plus shipping. I think I'm going to be at $3.50 an hour when I get finished. :)
TEAM SMART

chimp koose

If the new tin for your truck is anything like the stuff I got for my model T then you are ahead of the game where you are . Just because its new doesn't mean it fits , you would likely be putting hours of your time into the new ones to get them to your liking. Keep up the good work ! I enjoy watching your progress through this build.

jaybee

This is a really enjoyable project to watch.
Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength. Eric Hoffer  (1902 - 1983)

416Ford

Quote from: "kb426"I think I'm going to be at $3.50 an hour when I get finished. :)

That's a lot of hammering to get to that cost. Your fenders look like they are worth saving anyways. Plus you'll be able to look at the truck years from now and have all the memories of the fun. :)
You never have time to do it right the first time but you always have time to do it again.

kb426

I appreciate all the comments, guys. When people that have built several cars say they enjoy something, it means something. Here's the first startup. I have a ground issue on the gauges and the fuel pump relay. One step at a time is still moving. :)
TEAM SMART

kb426

Last night, I'm working on the wiring to the fuel pump. I realize that the problem isn't power to the relay but the output to the pump. I have capped off the egr tube from the exhaust manifold and want to hear what it sounds like. I connect my bypass on the pump wiring and it fires right up. 30 seconds later the engine locks up. No noise, no nothing. The crank is welded to bearings or block. I'm analyzing options so as soon as I make a decision, I'll post what I'm doing. I was nervous about this engine, now I'm not. It's better to fail in the garage rather than 1000 miles from home.
TEAM SMART

enjenjo

Well, that sucks. :shock:
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

chimp koose

Ouch , well , as you put it , better in the garage than out on a trip . You could have been putting your foot in it and hung the rods out of it out on some back road.

jaybee

Oh wow, bummer that. Glad at least it happened now and not on the road somewhere.
Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength. Eric Hoffer  (1902 - 1983)

416Ford

Sorry to hear that kb. Hopefully you can pick up another engine fairly cheap. It will be an easier swap now with the front end off also.
You never have time to do it right the first time but you always have time to do it again.

kb426

This is a quick rundown of what I considered. There is no add-in for time for new fabrication on any changeovers.
Engine options

5.7 hemi
used with acces.      $3680 plus frt.         wiring harness and ecu         $1,650
new with clutch      $5595 plus $329 frt.
bellhousing      $100

Ramjet 350
new      $5745 free frt.
acces.      $300
bellhousing      $100
clutch      $150

5.3 LS swap      $1050 and up plus frt.         PSI harness and ecu         $900

Hanlon adapter for 3650 trans with front retainer                  $550

Coyote new      $6,200         wiring harness and ecu         $1,500
acces.      at least $500

Used f150 coyote      $3000 plus frt.         wiring harness and ecu         $1,500

used low mileage 4.6 Crown Vic 4.6               $645 with shipping
TEAM SMART

GPster

I have been impressed with your practical using of what you managed to retrieve from that Mustang. I'd always have trouble in my mind (what there is left of it) not continuing with that mindset. Why don't you take some time and pull that engine out and tear it down. Are you building this truck for You forever?  If it will be going down the road there are people that will want it because it has a "Hemi" or will want it because it has a "crate" "Chevy". There are also people that will want it because it's all Ford and it might appeal to somebody that is just impressed that it looks old and everything that is not special or old truck might come out of a parts book labeled 'Mustang".I'm not in the position to buy anything and I've never had any luck selling anything but maybe being tired of beating on those fenders has you tired and wanting some rest which is giving you too much time thinking about how to fix a problem that you aren't sure what it is