New stuff!

Started by kb426, June 29, 2013, 08:19:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kb426

I media blasted the outside of the rear fenders and epoxy primed them today. They are one big bent piece! It's about to turn into winter so things will slow down about to a standstill. We had fabulous weather for November.
TEAM SMART

kb426

I'm working on vent windows today. I disassembled both of them. One of the window frames has rust in it. I have to make a decision as to repair or purchase replacements. The word replacement means there could be a surprise. I only found 1 vendor that has the frames. I'm going to do more research before I make a decision.
TEAM SMART

kb426

I looked for months for good Mustang seats with no success. I bought a pair of 2013 Doge Dart seats. These are black with a few small stains but no damage. The pic is poor in color and size.
TEAM SMART

enjenjo

One thing you may not know, many of the late model seats have the latch side of the seat belt mounted to the seat itself.The seat base is made to support this, but the seat mounting bolts are much larger that what we used to use. Most late model seats have at least four 10mm bolts. And there are substantial reinforcement in the floor. Just make sure you do this so the belts are not just for looks
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

kb426

I have observed the seat belt mount change. The belt is bolted to a 90 degree bent bracket that has 2 rivets holding it to the movable part of the seat frame. By having that part attached to the seat, it's always in the correct placement as desired by the designing engineers. I had planned on using the Mustang belts which are floor mount. I think I'll spend some time analyzing this to see what has the most advantages.
TEAM SMART

papastoyss

Quote from: "kb426"I'm working on vent windows today. I disassembled both of them. One of the window frames has rust in it. I have to make a decision as to repair or purchase replacements. The word replacement means there could be a surprise. I only found 1 vendor that has the frames. I'm going to do more research before I make a decision.
IMHO vent windows are best if you like wind noise & water leaks. My '40 doesn't have them & neither will my '57 wagon.
grandchildren are your reward for not killing your teenagers!

kb426

papastoyss, I have dealt with the wind but I've missed the water leaks. When I researched the non-vent window, I found lots of people with lack of satisfaction with the available kits to do that. After looking in the door at the hinge area and how far the door frame was recessed for the new channel on the front, I chickened out. But, at that point I still thought I would have original exterior door handles so the look would be original from the outside. After I got involved with the Mustang door latches, that plan got modified. I always wondered why the 48 Chevy pickup has one piece but the newer versions have vent windows. Was this just about summer cooling or was there something else? Does anybody here know the reason for the change?
TEAM SMART

enjenjo

QuoteDoes anybody here know the reason for the change?

Yes, I do.They added the vent windows to make them look more "modern", the same reason they took them back out in 68.

kb426

Boy, Frank, that was a purely scientific reason! We should never forget that companies make cars to make money. :)
TEAM SMART

kb426

I installed the door handles and the key lock today. I put epoxy primer on the original running boards so they could be stored outside. Then I color sanded and buffed. It's not good but it's better than it was.
TEAM SMART

kb426

Cowl vent, wipers and the evaporator are in place. I spent another hour adjusting door hinges again. The reason the evaporator is so far away from the kick panel is that's where the ecu is going. The factory Mustang harness has it on that side.
TEAM SMART

WZ JUNK

The vent window explanation can be done with a simple experiment.  Ride in a truck with no vent windows, no cowl vent or a closed cowl vent, and no air conditioning.  Then take a ride in the same type of vehicle with vent windows and a cowl vent opened and then closed.  The vent windows allow a lot more air through the cab and the cowl vent makes a big difference too.

I have modified doors to make one piece side glasses.  Most of the time it is a big job as a lot of the doors are made so that the vent window is at a slight angle to the door glass.  You need to add material on the outside in a pie shape to straighten the window opening for the one piece glass.  On the inside you remove material.  You also need to reshape the inside window trim so that it fits the new glass.  Then there is the problems with the window channel and the door hinge area.  There are lots of things to consider.  I think the one piece looks better, but I will never do another one.

John
WZ JUNK
Chopped 48 Chevy Truck
Former Crew chief #974 1953 Studebaker   
Past Bonneville record holder B/BGCC 249.9 MPH

kb426

Little bit of progress. Doesn't reflect on how much time I spent. I redid the bracket that holds the evaporator. When I cut the hole for the hose for the center vent, it was too weak to do as intended. I made a thicker bracket and have things where I believe they will allow the wiring harness and gauge cluster to cooperate. The back glass is in. I put Thermo-tec on the back and the top of the cab.
TEAM SMART

enjenjo

That sure quiets a cab down.

kb426

Those of you with a fabulous memory will remember me mentioning the "friday curse" that follows me sometimes. Today has been a trying day to say the least. This pic looks like not much happened. I'll let it go at that. :)
TEAM SMART