the long wait...

Started by DaveS, June 19, 2013, 07:14:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DaveS

I'm new to the forum and still need to make some more posts in order to include links to other websites in my postings.

I haven't done any car building since the early 70's.  I'm now retired and decided to build a street rod, since I can no longer persue my prior hobby of cycling (knees are shot).

I ordered a fiberglass  '37 3-window "tribute" car from OZE Rod Shop, now in Hamilton, Ohio.  I'm having them build a roller that includes the chassis with suspension, coil-overs, a stainless steel gas tank, steering column, radiator and mounts (not welded in) for a new Chevy LS3/4L65E  "connect and cruise" package from GM.  I've had the engine and trans sitting in my shop since March.

The bad news about all of this is the build time.  It was supposed to take about 12 weeks to complete the roller, but it's now been 19 weeks and the cars is not done.  I just got a "promise" that the car would be ready to ship at the end of week 20.  I'll be amazed if that happens.  Apparently the new OZE Rod Shop is either understaffed, and/or overwhelmed with too many orders, now that the economic downturn is ending.

enjenjo

QuoteApparently the new OZE Rod Shop is either understaffed, and/or overwhelmed with too many orders, now that the economic downturn is ending.

Probably both. Help is easy, good help is hard to find.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

Warpspeed

Quote from: "DaveS"Now that the economic downturn is ending.
I would not bet on that.
Stock and bond market crash dead ahead.

DaveS

Quote from: "Warpspeed"
Quote from: "DaveS"Now that the economic downturn is ending.
I would not bet on that.
Stock and bond market crash dead ahead.

Let's hope not.  The recession has really affected the hot rod business.

Downs Manufacturing has got out of the fiberglass body business entirely.  Rumor has it that Be Bops bought the molds.  They were advertised for $460,000.

In addition to OZE changing hands, Wild Rod products were bought by Killer Ridez.  

Rat's Glass has been trying to sell out for several years.

papastoyss

I realize you're already commited but I would resolve any "title issues" before you get any deeper into the build. Many states have tightened up on titleing new builds as original cars in the search for more tax $.
grandchildren are your reward for not killing your teenagers!

DaveS

Quote from: "papastoyss"I realize you're already commited but I would resolve any "title issues" before you get any deeper into the build. Many states have tightened up on titleing new builds as original cars in the search for more tax $.

I've looked into the Colorado laws and found nothing of concern.  As far as I can tell, they allow the car to be titled as a '37.  It will have a certificate of origin.  Colorado may assign it's own VIN number to the car.  Of course it has to meet Colorado safety laws, that include windshield wipers, along with all of the normal brake and signal lights.

I may need the receipts from major items like the engine and trans, to prove that they weren't stolen.  

I have no idea what kind of taxes I may have to pay or how the car's value will be calculated.  To me, it doesn't matter, since I would not give up on a car build or hobby, just because of what I considered excessive taxes.  

I expect the total build to cost $60K, maybe more.