power brake pushrod

Started by chimp koose, June 11, 2013, 05:32:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

chimp koose

Ok I did a search through the tech section and I can not find the post about how to set up and find the right length for the brake pushrod.A friend has had his 62 T bird apart for 2 years and in that time the brake pushrod has been lost. The car went out of service due to an overheated/siezed engine that may have been caused by dragging brakes as someone had removed the power brake booster and may have altered the length of the pushrod prior to reinstalling causing the brakes to be constantly applied.I seem to remember a rather long how-to post about making a pushrod and determining the proper length.Anyone remember where to find it?

enjenjo

The second  picture is of a gauge for checking pushrod length. the overall length is not important, as long as the center screw is.060" longer than the outer legs. the first picture is how to use it.

The pushrod is generally .375" diameter, with one end rounded, and the other end has a step .250" diameter, about .250" long. There are other types of pushrods, but they generally don't come out.

If he is doing manual brakes, that is a different story. Street Rodder had an article about brake pushrods in the last few months, that may be what you are thinking of.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

enjenjo

QuoteThe second picture is of a gauge for checking pushrod length. the overall length is not important, as long as the center screw is.060" shorter than the outer legs. the first picture is how to use it.

There is a mistake in the above statement, pointed out to me by Peter R.

The screw length should be .060" LONGER, not shorter as stated above. Not enough proof reading there.

chimp koose

so is the idea to get the pushrod from the booster to be .060 short of touching the cup on the master cyl?

enjenjo

Learpilot

The way I set the clearance of my push rod. I jacked up the left front wheel off the ground so I could roll the tire. When I bolted the master cylinder to the booster the wheel would not move. Then I shorten the rod until I could move the wheel. I also checked with the engine idling and I had to shorten the rod even more until I could roll the tire. I test drove and every thing was AOK.
Rick

chimp koose