step studs

Started by bowtietillidie, June 06, 2013, 09:05:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bowtietillidie

Haven't posted any thing for a while . Having some health problems but getting better.   My problem is as follows    I am installing one of Tom Langston's Dual Carb/ Weber-Carter kits on a Off y intake for a 216cu.in  Chevy ....... The problem is where the Intake manifold Carb adapter bolts  to the intake there isn't enough room to get the 3/8 cap screws furnished with the kit past the throat of the adapter. If I could use 3/8 to 5/16  step studs every thing would work out just fine ......   Now the real problem    where do I find 3/8 to 5/16 step studs ...... perplexed in Coshocton OH
BOWTIETILLIDIE

wayne petty

http://www.rbssuperchargers.com/Products.cfm?pn=2620-0001&pID=6669

5/16" to 3/8" step header stud. This stud is made from billet heat treated steel and black oxide coated. With this stud it allows the use of smaller 5/16-24 nuts to get into tight applications where 3/8" might be to big to fit into.

enjenjo

Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

wayne petty

thanks for that link..

thats a great catalog and source...

here is the full 36 page catalog download link for those who want more than one page...

http://www.specialty-fasteners.com/images/SpecialtyCatalog-screen.pdf

one with a lathe.. could actually carve a 3/8-16 stud down by putting a single slot in the side of a 3/8 coupling nut to allow the lathe jaws to compress and lock a 3/8 stud to machine the other end down to the proper diameter and then run a die on what's left..

seems that since this is just a carb adaptor.. that almost anything could be used.. including and this might be creative... running a 5/16 helicoil tap into the 3/8 hole.. if it cleans up the threads oversize.. insert the 5/16 -24 helicoil.. so you could just use the 5/16-24 bolts or studs and nuts alone.. instead of needing to buy a special fastener..

i do this on carbs with stripped #12 screws.. i install #8 helicoils and allen hardware to replace the factory machine screws.. this has saved a bunch of really worn but hard to find good copies of carbs over the years..  especially when carb rebuilders fix threads by mashing the end of the screw flat to spread it out to grab on to the oversized hole..

just ideas...

bowtietillidie

Enjenjo and  Wayne       Thanks so much for the quick reply    As soon as I seen the picture of the step stud it all cam back about using them on headers . Every pair of Hooker headers I have run on a small block required those studs  around 3&5 and  4&6 cylinders . It is amazing what a couple of sharp minds can do to jog another person's memory .  THANKS again Fellows :D
BOWTIETILLIDIE