What am I missing on the Ford?

Started by 58 Yeoman, June 05, 2013, 05:21:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wayne petty

not trying to sell you one.. but look at the detailed description  on this pump..

http://stores.precisionoilpumps.com/-strse-9/Blueprinted-Melling-Ford-FE/Detail.bok

MELLING HIGH-VOLUME BLUEPRINTED OIL PUMP.The pump is a brand new Melling M-57HV blueprinted by PRECISION OIL PUMPS. Fits all FE Ford 352-427 with the std 1/4" drive. Each pump is disassembled in groups of ten. All passages have casting flash removed, corners are radiused and blended by hand. Housings & Gears are Deburred by a Vibratory Polisher then cleaned. Gears are then sprayed with TECH-LINE moly-coating and oven curred. Three Critical Clearances are checked on reassembly;(1) Gear to Housing, (2) Mesh or Backlash, (3) Gear to Cover-Plate. With Ten gear sets to choose from , One pair with correct clearances will be installed. The relief- valve is De-burred with emmory cloth ,cleaned and is re-installed with the existing brown (60-65 psi.) spring and new hardware. Each cover plate is also Vibratory Polished, cleaned and fastened with safety-wired aircraft bolts. All pumps are bench tested. Buy with confidence.

say... one more thing.. some of these come with a 5/16 hex... i wonder if the distributer shaft was wrong.. and just barely holding??/

Arnold

Quote from: "58 Yeoman"Pulled the distributor today and found that the inside of the shaft was rounded and not turning the pump shaft.  Put the drill on the shaft and it's putting out 70 - 80#; hope that's not too high!  It's a Mellings high volume pump.  I've ordered a reman dist. from NAPA, and hope it doesn't take as long to get it as it did the pump, etc. from Autozone; nine days, plus another 2 days for one of the motor mounts.

Could it be that the first pump locked up for a bit, and that rounded out the shaft?  There were no pieces in the pan and just a minor amount of sludge near the drain plug.  I'll have to switch over the Pertronix ignition on the new dist.

I would take that pump off and put on a/the stock one,and make sure the distributer is the right one too. You don't want cam walk.
 These engines do not need other than the factory oiling system on them..
for running them hard..not of course racing them.
that kind of pressure is just not needed.They are norious for leaking oil as it is.
  Get the heads,cam,intake,of the 335 H engines..or a Police Intereptor.
 Killer engine.Huge torque..plenty of horsepower/power.
 I love those engines.
 Don't try and cam them up or rev them up dig a zillion horsepower out of them unless you have lots to invest in it.
  Thanks for the memories of when I had them/built them :D

58 Yeoman

Thanks to everyone who gave suggestions.  I put in the 'new' distributor and it runs fine with 65 to 70# pressure.
I survived the Hyfrecator 2000.

"Life is what happens when you're making other plans."
1967 Corvair 500 2dr Hardtop
1967 Corvair 500 4dr Hardtop
Phil

Crosley.In.AZ

good to see it is fixed.  Some times they beat you up trying to find the problem
Tony

Plutophobia (Fear of money)