drop spindles

Started by reborn55, May 30, 2013, 06:24:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

reborn55

Hi guys--haven't posted in quite awhile--no excuse just lazy I guess...Have a quick question.  Wife's coupe(76 Nova front steer clip0 needs some spindles.  haven't found ang good used ones locally--friend of a friend has a set o new McGaughy 2 inch drop spindles I can get ---question is will they work.  I have 15x6 wheels with 4 inch backspacing and 205-70 tires.  The only thing that I can see having a problem is the backing plate hitting the lower control arm.  I talked to the tech guru at Mc Gaughy's and he said that with the 6 inch wheel and 4 inch backspacing it is going to hit the caliper.  Maybe I am getting old and do not comprehend any more but I don't understand(maybe stubborn also) why it would hit the caliper.  It doesn't hit now and I cannot figure out why it would with that setup.  Enlighten me if possible---will this setup work or not.  He says I would have to use a wheel spacer for it to work--don't have one now.  thanks for help in advance

Warpspeed

If you are keeping the original wheels, hubs, discs and calipers, the relationship between all the various parts cannot be any different.
All that happens is that both the ball joints should be located two inches lower on the spindle.

Unless these new spindles reduce the front track width, the lower ball joints will not be spread further apart, just move downwards.
So even clearance to the backing plate should not decrease.

I have no experience with those actual spindles, but I just cannot see a problem with wheel/caliper clearance is possible.

enjenjo

I have a couple sets of used stock spindles if that is what you need, PM me.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

reborn55

this is what stock one look like