Has anyone shipped a car hood?

Started by 58 Yeoman, May 15, 2013, 07:51:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

58 Yeoman

I'm parting out the '83 Trans Am, and I put the hood on ebay as a local pickup, and I've got two inquiries already about shipping it.  I've already sold the rear hatch, tires/wheels, and a pu load of other stuff off it locally, but no one local wants the hood, I guess.  I had to take two tires/wheels off the old Pontiac to move it out of the shop so I could get the Ford in there to check out why it lost oil pressure.  I'm hoping to get time to work on it this weekend.
I survived the Hyfrecator 2000.

"Life is what happens when you're making other plans."
1967 Corvair 500 2dr Hardtop
1967 Corvair 500 4dr Hardtop
Phil

enjenjo

Used to ship them by Greyhound, but have not done one in years
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

sirstude

was going to say the same thing about Greyhound.  We don't have a Greyhound here, so you cannot schedule the shipping on line.  However. all I had to do was check with the local bus company in their office and they handled all the inter line stuff.  Pretty cheap, and they can ship LARGE items. If I remember right, 8x6x3 or so.
1965 Impala SS  502
1941 Olds

Watcher of #974 1953 Studebaker Bonneville pas record holder B/BGCC 249.945 MPH.  He sure is FAST

www.theicebreaker.us

phat rat

Greyhound, I even shipped a repop Model A bed that way
Some days it\'s not worth chewing through the restraints.

58 Yeoman

Wow...I called Greyhound, and they told me that they don't ship car parts unless it's in the original box (maybe I should leave it on the car and ship the whole car?), in my area anyway.  I called UPS Freight for a quote from Peoria, IL to Charleston, W. VA, and it was $621.54.  *, I could drive it there for that price, AND get to see the country, too.  I sent him an email and told him that it's a no-go. :shock:

Phil

phat rat

Do you have a local terminal? I'd go there because the person telling you they won't ship is misinformed, unless their policy has changed in the last few months. I've shipped fenders and even an A truck bed without boxing. I just had to pad any sharp corners. You might have to make a box and label it as FRAGILE or DO NOT STACK  ON TOP OF
You could give these people a call also. http://www.busfreighter.com/  The last time I shipped by Greyhound I did it through them and it was cheaper. You pay them and just drop it at the bus station.

58 Yeoman

thanks for the site, but their nearest terminal is 84 miles round trip.  I'd called the Greyhound terminal nearest to me, and he told me that it is a passenger terminal only, and had me call the 800 number.

Phil

sirstude

That was what I was saying, the nearest Greyhound terminal to me is in Washington.  I just went to the local bus depot (who is now shut down for some equipment violations) and asked there.  I just wrapped them up and off it went..  The guy that shipped me the Olds fenders did the same.  I think it you call Greyhound direct, they give you the runaround just on general principals.

Doug
1965 Impala SS  502
1941 Olds

Watcher of #974 1953 Studebaker Bonneville pas record holder B/BGCC 249.945 MPH.  He sure is FAST

www.theicebreaker.us

phat rat

Quote from: "58 Yeoman"thanks for the site, but their nearest terminal is 84 miles round trip.  I'd called the Greyhound terminal nearest to me, and he told me that it is a passenger terminal only, and had me call the 800 number.

Is the potential buyer willing to pay your expenses to drive the 84 mi? Wouldn't hurt to ask.

chimp koose

I got a pair of T fenders shipped to me by greyhound this last winter.They probably took more care of the package than anything I have had to get shipped by UPS.

jaybee

You might want to avoid this guy.  
Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength. Eric Hoffer  (1902 - 1983)

Warpspeed

I would go around to a bulk appliance store, a place where they sell washing machines, refrigerators, dishwashers, etc...

These products often ship in big * cardboard boxes, and you should be able to score some big stiff thick sheets of cardboard and useful chunks of polystyrene packing material for free.

Then get creative with some duct tape and make that hood look respectable.

The shipping companies will then usually just measure it, weigh it, and accept it without comment.
just another package....

58 Yeoman

We have large cardboard sheets at work, but they would probably frown on me walking out with a few.  A buyer contacted me to relist the hood, so it is sold now one way or another, though not as much as buy it now. I'm going to check into calling the local bus station instead of going through the national call center just in case I have other large parts to ship.

Thanks to everyone who gave me ideas.  I've got to go work on the Ford today to hopefully find out why it lost oil pressure (finally got some time).

Phil

manyolkars

58 Yeoman

A 'local' buyer (2.5 hours away) bought it, just hasn't picked it up yet.

Phil