windshield leak

Started by zzebby, August 26, 2004, 12:26:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

zzebby

Working on two rods at the same time,  trying to get one on the road for that psyco  high,  but little things really * me off.
On the 66 Chevelle went to great pains to kill the rust in the windshield frame area and paint it prior to glass install.   About 6 months ago finally had a friend of a rodder friend install the glass.  Well now I went to put in the stainless trim around the glass,  washed the area and when blowing it dry I saw that along the bottom of the glass the water ran thru onto the dash.  No seal.    Tried to call the glass guy but nobody can find him now.   Sure as little green apples,  the area will get scratched if I cut it out and then the rust will come back.  
Anyone had any success with a liquid sealer of some sort?   Seems to only leak along about a two foot section right at the center bottom of the glass.   What about the butyl liquid primer??  :cry:

sirstude

Zebby,
I had the same problem with my Impala,  The parts house has a windshield sealer that works great.  It is a clear urethane that is not as thick as normal urethane and made by Permatex.  Tape up the inside of the windshield and just squeeze the sealer around the window and let it sit.  I will self level and fill any holes you have.  If you don't put the tape on the inside you will find it on the dash and seat when it drips through.  I don't remember the exact name, it has been a couple of years since I did it, but just look in the Permatex section of any good parts house.

Hope this helps
Doug

ps.  Did you ever do anything with your 33/34 radiator?
1965 Impala SS  502
1941 Olds

Watcher of #974 1953 Studebaker Bonneville pas record holder B/BGCC 249.945 MPH.  He sure is FAST

www.theicebreaker.us

alchevy

I forgot the brand name of the stuff I found at O'Reilly Auto Parts last October during Cruisin' the Coast on the Mississippi Gulf Coast. I put it on and it did like the instructions said it would do...it came through to the other side at places I didn't know I had leaks...only problem was, now I have more leaks. It must have made new paths for more leaks. The pkg said that it was non-yellowing, but it's yellow now.
Hope you have better luck,
AL
A street rod is a vehicle made before 1949 that is modified with modern stuff: bigger motors; newer trans; updated suspension, front & rear; a/c.
Following is a street rod plus definition: No known definition because it changes.

www.astreetrodder.com

zzebby

Quote from: "sirstude"Zebby,
I had the same problem with my Impala,  The parts house has a windshield sealer that works great.  It is a clear urethane that is not as thick as normal urethane and made by Permatex.  Tape up the inside of the windshield and just squeeze the sealer around the window and let it sit.  I will self level and fill any holes you have.  If you don't put the tape on the inside you will find it on the dash and seat when it drips through.  I don't remember the exact name, it has been a couple of years since I did it, but just look in the Permatex section of any good parts house.

Hope this helps
Doug

ps.  Did you ever do anything with your 33/34 radiator?

Thanks . will look for it and try it out but ???????? I'm pessimistic about short cuts.
Still have the rad and will see if it can cool in the AZ heat when I get it on the road.   Thanksgiving is the latest goal. Will still probably end up with an aluminum one,  It was hot again today  100 + degrees.  Remind we then.