Internal vacumn leak in a edelbrock carb ?

Started by junkyardjeff, April 18, 2013, 09:09:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

junkyardjeff

Is it possible for a Edelbrock carb to have a internal vacumn leak,I was spraying carb cleaner and it seemed to have a intake leak but it did not improve after a new intake gasket. I thought it might had some dirt in it so I revved it up and stuffed a rag over the carb and now its worse so its something in the carb.

dirt t 2010

Quote from: "junkyardjeff"Is it possible for a Edelbrock carb to have a internal vacumn leak,I was spraying carb cleaner and it seemed to have a intake leak but it did not improve after a new intake gasket. I thought it might had some dirt in it so I revved it up and stuffed a rag over the carb and now its worse so its something in the carb.
What intake manifold is your carb on? If it's on a quadrajet manifold you need the right adaptor.(Don't ask me how I know).
Terry
I spent most of my money on whisky,women and hotrods. The rest I just wasted!

wayne petty

dirt in the air bleeds.. and idle feed restrictions...

the idle transition air bleed is laying on the table...

the drill is thru the idle feed restriction...

the brass tube at the top could also be clogged...

you can also see a hole drilled in the top sort of behind the brass tube in this image... thats another air bleed..

because air bleeds are pulling air in... they can pull dirt in and clog them...

i have a AFB in a shipping box at my feet..  i plan on taking it apart and photographing the various circuits with some welding wire inserted to show the path...

why are air bleeds important..

if they are clogged..  or restricted beyond calibration.. there will be less air pulled in..  so that increases the vacuum and pulls more fuel in..

this is an original AFB tuning guide when it was carter and owned by colt..

http://www.mymopar.com/downloads/carterafbtuning.pdf

junkyardjeff

Put a Holley 4 bbl on it and it runs much better,I got looking at the fuel pump area and noticed I might have a heat issue too. The donor truck that gave up the 460 also had a p/s cooler that mounts on the frame near the fuel pump so I installed it too and I also have a metal fuel filter that is only a couple inches from the cooler so it will be moved to along the frame near the rear of the cab. It was winter when I drove it for the first time after installing the 460 and it came apart for body work and paint before spring arrived and that was 4 years ago. I will tear into the Edelbrock when I get time.

junkyardjeff

Pulled the top off tonight and it looked like one fuel bowl did not have any gas in it for a long time,I think the screen on that seat must have been plugged up as when I blew air through the fuel inlet not much air came through. I cleaned both screens and need to get more carb cleaner to clean the bowls.

junkyardjeff

Reinstalled the carb and it seems to run good so I think it sitting with no hose on the inlet water got in that bowl and caused the problem,no matter how good I think I have a motor covered when sitting outside some water seems to get in.