New freon on the horizon and it is going to cost a lot more

Started by Learpilot, February 21, 2013, 04:41:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Learpilot

A friend just got back from an Auto Air Conditioner convention.
He said that the new stuff will cost 3 times what R-134 cost now.
I don't remember the name ,but it will come out some time this year in the 2013 Cadillac.
He also said the new stuff will not add to Global Warming.
I thought R134 fixed everything with the environment.
Also he said they are looking at making a heat pump for cars.
I guess 200 degree coolant is not good enough of a heat source.
Rick

unklian

GPster

Back in the '70s I was the parts man at a Heating, Air conditioning, and Refrigeration Co..We would stock R12, R22, R5020, and R502. in 125#-145# Cylinders. At that time R12 was less then half the price per pound than the next higer price that was R22. R12 main use was not car A/Cs or household refrigerators. It was mainly used for large medium temp refrigeration systems. You could have "blown-off" the refrigerant in 10 cars to equal what could have been lost from the system in a row of meat cases in a grocery store. Because it was cheap no one worried that much about it then. Maybe how much something costs is to make us more aware not to waste it. GPster

Crosley.In.AZ

Even if a new freon type coolant is invented - created,  the consumer will be drilled in the anal exit for pricing.
Tony

Plutophobia (Fear of money)

enjenjo

I see they are experimenting with CO2 as a refrigerant, but at 10 times the pressures used now, meaning all new hardware....again.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

Crosley.In.AZ

Quote from: "enjenjo"I see they are experimenting with CO2 as a refrigerant, but at 10 times the pressures used now, meaning all new hardware....again.

As you know , with higher pressures comes more generated heat and potential wear of parts.

An example in higher pressures is a CVT  transmission.. Constant Variable Trans.  Operates in the area of 500 - 800 psi.  Durability is not  a high point of the CVT from what I read in trade journals.  I've never worked on one or own one
Tony

Plutophobia (Fear of money)

papastoyss

Quote from: "Crosley"
Quote from: "enjenjo"I see they are experimenting with CO2 as a refrigerant, but at 10 times the pressures used now, meaning all new hardware....again.

As you know , with higher pressures comes more generated heat and potential wear of parts.

An example in higher pressures is a CVT  transmission.. Constant Variable Trans.  Operates in the area of 500 - 800 psi.  Durability is not  a high point of the CVT from what I read in trade journals.  I've never worked on one or own one
When I still had my repair shop I changed fluid in a couple of Nissan Altimas w/ CVT trans. Special fluid,dealer only,$20+  a quart. OUCH
grandchildren are your reward for not killing your teenagers!

Warpspeed

Quote from: "Learpilot"
Also he said they are looking at making a heat pump for cars.
I guess 200 degree coolant is not good enough of a heat source.
Rick
I can see an advantage to having a heat pump in a very cold climate.
Instant full capacity heating and demisting within seconds of starting the engine.
And everything to do it is pretty much already there.

And three times the price...
Sounds like price gouging to me.

Rrumbler

Quote from: "Crosley"

As you know , with higher pressures comes more generated heat and potential wear of parts.  ------

Not to mention the safety angle from untrained folks trying to do without proper tools, equipment, and know-how.
Rrumbler - Older, grouchier, broken; but not completely dead, yet.